Jack Osbourne and Teva Launch New Educational Multiple Sclerosis Website

Click here to receive MS news via e-mail
jack obsorne

Reality TV star Jack Osbourne has partnered with Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. to launch a new website as part of a three-year campaign called You Don’t Know Jack About MS. The site can be viewed here: www.youdontknowjackaboutms.com. The campaign is meant to raise awareness about multiple sclerosis (MS), as well as offer resources to help the MS community in the United States.

Jack Osbourne became known to the American public after the successful MTV reality show The Osbournes between 2002 and 2004, which chronicled the daily lives of rock star Ozzy Osbourne and his family. In 2012, Jack was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS), the most common form of the disease. After the diagnosis, Osbourne committed himself to helping others with the same condition and this project aims to provide new content, resources, and a docu-series.

The website will feature Jack’s journey dealing with RRMS, and is expected to help not only MS patients, but also families, friends, and caregivers better manage and cope with the diagnosis and the daily struggle of living with the disease. The project, which was developed by Jack and Teva, was launched in celebration of World Multiple Sclerosis Day on May 27th.

“I have a personal interest in developing the new You Don’t Know Jack About MS website to make it as helpful and relatable as possible for those living with MS, like myself,” said Osbourne in a press release. “Since my diagnosis three years ago, I have found so much satisfaction in helping others better understand MS, and I hope the new content inspires others who are living with MS to take an active role in how they manage their disease.”

At You Don’t Know Jack About MS, visitors will find stories of MS patients and advocates who will try to dispel myths and misconceptions about the disease, downloadable tools and resources, as well as an online video docu-series and a blog, both of which focused on chronicling Jack’s personal experience with the disease.

The comprehensive educational content, which includes information and tools to assist patients in coping and dealing with different stages of MS from diagnosis to disease management, are produced by the Multiple Sclerosis Association of America (MSAA). The MSAA will also provide information on the function of MS in the body and give recommendations on how to explain the disease to family, friends and children.

“Living with MS can be challenging at times, so it’s important that people with MS have access to relatable and reliable information,” explained the vice president of Programs and Services at MSAA, Peter Damiri. “MSAA’s mission is to improve lives today for the entire MS community and we applaud Jack for his openness and commitment to raising awareness for this disease. MSAA is proud to partner with Jack and Teva and provide our educational content for the You Don’t Know Jack About MS program.”

Alongside the launch of You Don’t Know Jack About MS, the campaign also announced series of online activities scheduled for this year, including the launch of two other webisodes and blog posts from Jack, addressing subjects like fitness and diet, stress management and his plans on how to discuss the disease with his daughter, Pearl, who was born three weeks after he was diagnosed with MS.

The website will also include guest bloggers, such as MS medical specialists and Jack’s mother, Sharon Osbourne, who will contribute posts providing their own perspectives on MS and its impact. You Don’t Know Jack About MS is the result of the ongoing efforts and commitment of Jack Osbourne, Teva Pharmaceuticals and the MSAA. Jack Osbourne continues to lead an active life, both personal and professionally, having earned the third place in Dancing with the Stars in 2013.

In addition to being an example on how to lead a healthy lifestyle regardless of an MS diagnosis, Osbourne was also granted the Nancy Davis’ 20th Annual Race to Erase MS Gala award in recognition of his courage in announcing his diagnosis, and for being a role model to others patients.

Click here to receive MS news via e-mail

1. wayne says:

JACK OSBOURNE has RRMS , all significant research done so far has to do with R.R.M.S. hardly the most difficult type of M.S. JACK has no idea what its like to experience the ravages , he talks of living a healthy life style , well everyone wants to, JACK has tremendous amounts of advantage over the average sufferer , financial as well as contact with very important resources who think R.R.M.S. is as bad as it gets and its just that easy to deal with , if I had the advantage JACK has I and others to would have done a whole lot better ,is JACK going to make research for other than RRMS happen , he “works for” TEVA WHO ONLY DOES RESEARCH FOR AND MAKES MEDICATION FOR RRMS what the F**k about S.P.M.S. , P.P.M.S., don’t give us the line we have to wait we have been waiting for 100 years or more for something to be done , CCSVI treatment comes along it was stifled so only the JACKS could afford it , HSCT is here now only the JACKS can afford it , MARIJUANA OR CBD,s are stifled so basically only the JACKS can afford it and who knows what else only the JACKS can afford but you say he works for TEVA a PHARMACEUTICAL company you can almost guarantee he gets something financial from them FOR HIS ENDORSEMENT , as they would not like these other treatments to cut into their PROFITS PROFITS PROFITS for their R.R.M.S. DRUGS again only the JACKS can afford that if you don’t have a good insurance plan or have access to JACKS WEALTH or influence. Not to mention the exorbitant fees these C.E.O,s receive from the benefits these fundraisers rake in how much actually gets to research other than for R.R.M.S.

• Tommy says:

Thank you Wayne. I have Progressive M.S. And you are so right. I have to wear the same old band aid. ” Steroids”. And ( 1 ) pain pill a day. And I have good insurance. Always a waiting game for the Dr.’s. It’s all bullshit!!!!! This girl is no Jack by all means. And my health care providers let me know every appointment!!!! Good luck! This battle is up too me!!!!!!

2. Sara says:

I couldn’t have said this better myself! We SPMSers are in a position of breaking the law and or going bankrupt to get treatment. Stem cell research for us PLEASE!!

• Michael says:

So true Sara,we all can’t afford what Jack Osborne can, I think it is BIG Pharm making too much money on RRMS and dosent care about us that have SPMS/PPMS, I am sick of this sh.t all about the money. Hence you can be sure that Jack will have help way before the rest of us.

3. Heather Snapp says:

I have SPMS and have developed uncontrollable bowels. I am so upset and don’t know what to do. Any suggestions?

• Charlie Finn says:

Hi. I have dealt with bowl issues 4 10 years. I have found that 4 Imodium/ day helps a lot. Walgeens has generic brand which makes it affordable prices

• Shirley says:

You should go see your doctor. It may be a prob. not a MS thing. Trying to medicate yourself could become another prob. By ignoring this is not good. I had similar issues but, relieved it wasn’t something serious.

• Smarty Pants says:

MS is caused by the intoxication of Epsilon toxin produced by Clostridium Perfringens bacterium. Improperly balanced gut bacteria allow colonization of C. Perf. The toxin permeates the inner wall of the gut, enters the blood stream, passes through the BBB and binds to Oligodentrocytes and Myelin. The immune system cleanses the body of the toxin by removing the affected tissues. The immune system is working normal. This is not an auto-immune disease. Fix the gut (reintroduce the necessary good bacteria) and no more MS. Past neurological damage will have to be fixed by other means.

• JAH says:

I have SPMS and eat Greek and every other yogurt every day. I have yet to see a difference in days that I do eat yogurt and days I don’t. What gives?

• Cheryl says:

Well done Jack ??
      As for everyone complaining, it is NOT Jack’s job to do anything so surely any kind of research should be applauded?! Why not start up a compaign yourselves? We’re all very unlucky to have been diagnosed with this horrid disease but you shouldn’t hate that others have more money than yourself. You wouldn’t hate your closest friend for been better off than you? It’s just the luck of the draw. Any research is better than none. Maybe one day, God forbid your child/grandchild is diagnosed with rrms, then you would be great full with the research. Money helps the world go round but a selfish/jealous attitude will not help your world go round smoothly.
      *Sorry if parts do not make sense, not only do I walk & talk like a drunk, I also struggle to make my brain bring the correct, sufficient word to mind

• Liz says:

I lived with many small infractions all my life,( constipation, weakness, joints swelling etc) I learned to adapt until my world started crashing down in 1996. I’ve always had I was diagnosed with MS in 1996, I started on treatment. After much discussion with Dr. Khatri, and his nursing staff, I felt I was going to give this disease a fight. Much later in my treatment I confided in Dr. Khatri and John his PA, I didn’t feel comfortable with this diagnosis because I did not fit the clinical profile outlined in all the nursing books I had. My life spinned out of control as I had just enrolled in my masters program at Marian College. I was undecided on which area of expertise I wanted. I’ve always loved direct patient care, I have never been one to stand in front of a group and speak. My voice gets high pitched, my speech becomes so rapid the class would never understand me. I was leaning toward NP. I also was fortunate enough to teach part time at MATC. I caught bacterial meningitis was hospitalized and almost died.I always had rapid eye movement, like my eyes were never still, I thought I was observant of my surrounding. It took me years to accept my diagnosis because I was not 18-25, nor was I born in this temperant climate. I’m African American 42 year old born in Tennessee. I don’t have anyone in my family with MS. I started dragging my left leg, the right side of my my mouth felt like it was quivering, my cognitive abilities were frayed. My movements were jerky, my bladder was weak. You name it I had it. I fignagled my insurance until I was able to see Dr. B Khatri. My life changed. I was started on Avonex in January of 1997, and the rest of my symptoms are managed by medication. This Fatigue monster is something I cannot get under control. In 2011 I was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis which almost took me out. Last year I caught shingles, which almost took me out also. There by the grace of God go I.

4. Michelle naso says:

Great idea! But I agree with the comments above. We NEED stem cell hsct research and treatment for SPMS. We just get forgotten. All treatments are for RRMS. N Jack one-day you will have spms too… don’t forget us in the UK!!!!

5. Christina winkle says:

Thank you for coming out & telling the public, I have known for 9 years but I had it for 11yrs & had no idea. I had my only son at 30 & that is how I found out. I walk & talk like I’m drunk or messed up. I am neither one, people would ask what I’m on & I would tell them it’s ms & alot5

6. Christina winkle says:

Thank you for coming out & telling the public, I have known for 9 years but I had it for 11yrs & had no idea. I had my only son at 30 & that is how I found out. I walk & talk like I’m drunk or messed up. I am neither one, people would ask what I’m on & I would tell them it’s ms & alot of people had no idea what it was. I have a Dr note because the police stop me all the time because i don’t drive for the safety of others. I would do anything to help them find a cure or if I could help one person. So thank you

7. Shelly says:

You know having rrms is not always something to turn your nose up at. I had it for 21yrs and they were some learning years as I look back now. I’ve been spms recently hitting my 23rd year. W/c bound now and hoping to get back onto my feet with my walker!! PT is something else, something I always hated but I might have to cave now to please insurance.?

8. Trish says:

I have been on Copaxone 20 mg for 20 years now and am doing well. I tried the Copaxone 40 mg and it did not work for me at all. I am hoping that the 20 mg formula is not discontinued.

9. Penny says:

I get discouraged when I see people angry because someone is raising awareness about MS! I don’t care what type of MS it is, how much money he has or anything else! The fact is for being one of the most common diseases few even know what it is. I also have a problem with anyone claiming the “cure” for MS is this or that. I’m in agreement there is a link between a healthy gut and autoimmune diseases, but to encourage people this cures MS wreaks of irresponsible behavior. I think all of us with MS should be grateful to anyone who raises awareness among the public about MS! Myelin repair is becoming a reality now…come on let’s not fight, let’s band together!

10. Joanne Smit says:

I had my colon removed for other medical reasons than MS+-13years ago and experiànced better bladder and bowel control and am doing fine under the cirçumstances.Last 3years no meds at all because financial reasons,all i can bless you with is Positivity!I am blessed,i could have been dead.Lost a few healthy friends and realised i have a lot to live for!

11. Tou Parish says:

49 year old male with MS for 3 years. Seems I fell into that “most men get MS in their 40’s” classification.

I’m still working as a technologist but don’t see myself working for more than another 2 or 3 years. My brain power, once measured at a 132 IQ, is down to around 105. Just above average. I’m living off of “fumes”– that is, I’m relying a lot on my long term memory since short term is shot.

A cure exists– stem cells. I don’t think I’ll live long enough to experience it but it’s good news to know.