Pomegranate Seed Oil May Be Therapy for MS Disease and Its Progression

Click here to receive MS news via e-mail
MS therapy study

In a recent study, researchers show how a natural antioxidant within pomegranate seeds is capable of inhibiting demyelination in a mouse model for multiple sclerosis (MS), supporting novel formulations of natural antioxidants as therapeutics for demyelinating diseases. The study, “Treatment of a multiple sclerosis animal model by a novel nano drop formulation of a natural antioxidant,” was published in the International Journal of Nanomedicine.

The team of researchers began by administering to mice — induced for experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), an established model for human MS — a nano droplet formulation of pomegranate seed oil (PSO) that they named Nano-PSO. In a previous study the team showed that Nano-PSO could significantly reduce brain lipids oxidation in a mouse model of prion disease (prion diseases, also known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies, are a family of rare progressive neurodegenerative disorders). Although primarily considered an autoimmune disease, MS and EAE demyelination of nerve cells is also thought to occur as a result of a neurodegenerative process — most importantly, MS brain proteins and lipids are oxidized. In fact, oxidative stress is a common pathological feature of neurodegenerative diseases.

PSO contains what is thought to be one of the strongest natural antioxidants, a polyunsaturated fatty acid named punicic acid (PA). Administering PSO as an oil-in-water nanoemulsion is believed to increase both its bioavailability and activity.

Study results revealed that the administration of PSO with high levels of PA is beneficial for EAE mice. The oil, when delivered to mice in its natural form, was beneficial only at very high dosages; in contrast, when 1% of PSO was delivered as emulsified nano droplets, or Nano-PSO, the clinical benefits were significantly enhanced. The benefits were visible when Nano-PSO was given to mice at the time the disease was induced, and again when EAE mice start to develop disease symptoms (day 7). These results suggest that Nano-PSO has a therapeutic potential both for preventing the disease and for impairing its progression.

Moreover, the Nano-PSO inhibited demyelination and lipid oxidation in the brains of EAE mice that had already presented an established infiltration of immune cells, suggesting that oxidized lipids play a role in the demyelination process.

These findings further support the generation of natural antioxidants such as Nano-PSO as therapeutics for demyelinating diseases, including MS.

Click here to receive MS news via e-mail

1. Gary Price says:

My wife has MS and cannot walk. She is willing to try anything, especially Natural foods. Is this PSO with PA taken orally or some other way? Thank you for your work in trying to find a cure for a terrible disease, MS.

2. carl w smith says:

3. Robby says:

OK, so maybe I’m dumb, which I do have Multiple Sclerosis and a horrible memory, but what am I reading here? Should I start eating pomegranates or should I NOT?

4. William Giese says:

I ordered pomegranate seed oil for my RR MS but how best to take it? Would appreciate some guidance, always with the understanding that benefits from pomegranate oil remain unproven and that your best guess is just that, and is subject to change.
    William Giese

5. Debbie says:

Relapse-remitting 25 years so far. I have always loved pomegranates. Now I love them even more! As to Robby’s question…. sure, start eating pomegranates – they’ll never be bad for you!

• Robby says:

Thanks Debbie! I was beginning to wonder if anyone ACTUALLY took the time to read comments posted here. Naturally, I know pomegranates are good for me, and I do eat them ever so often, but not a lot. If they’re saying that it stops inflammation and stuff, then I’m gonna start eating them morning, noon, and night! There is one point that I’d like to make to everyone suffering from this awful disease. I’ve been on Tysabri for 3 years and have been relapse free, but its not the medicine that has kept me healthy. I believe it probably helps, but the last 3 years being relapse isn’t and hasn’t been from med’s alone. My FAITH in my Father and the Lord Jesus Christ has been the MAJOR factor in keeping me relapse free! If all people would simply give their hearts to Jesus and ask him for help, HE WILL HELP THEM! I never wanted MS, but I wouldn’t give it back for ANYTHING! If I were to do that it would also mean that II would have to give back the blessings I’ve received from the Lord, and that AIN’T HAPPENING! I truly have blessings that can ONLY be described as the work of the Lord, but there are too many to list here. Trust in the Lord, ask and ye SHALL RECEIVE!!

• Debbie says:

Robby, I’m glad that your faith has given you the strength you have. I am not a Christian, however, and am doing pretty good with the Copaxone I started in 1999 without a lot of prayer. I have a certain trust in medicine and I believe our one God, if s/he exists, has a different role to play than making sick people better. Why help some, but not all? Lots to explain there. So I am very happy your faith is working for you. Just don’t discount the medicine you’re taking.

• Olivia says:

God bless you, Robby. I’m a fellow Christian, and my heart is encouraged to read of your faith and your praise for the Lord! He truly is good to all, merciful, and slow to anger, and He can make all things turn to our good – even Multiple Sclerosis. Sounds incredible, but it’s absolutely true.

• GJO Nortje says:

God is great,but I assist my wife in giving her primrose oil,dolomite, cranberry extract as well as iron supplements daily. We have seemed to be stable with the disease. She has progressive MS. Always check any supplement not to enhance the immune system. Gerrie

• Angie Holland says:

Nothing beats the power of prayer and faith!! I’m praying God continues to bless you Robby!!
        Have you tried using pomegranate seed oil yet?
        It’s pretty awesome stuff! I use it for severely dry skin problems due to Sjögren’s Syndrome. Also helps with arthritis. Mix a few drops in a couple tablespoons of sesame seed oil (or fractionated coconut oil, argan oil, emu oil, sweet almond oil…) and gently message on achy joints.
        Hope it will help you too with MS. Maybe applying it along the spine will help over time.
        I wish you all the best! ??

6. Jewel says:

How should one supplement with this , would “Pom”juice be enough? It seems you would need to ingest a lot. Can anyone suggest an amount?

7. Patricia Silva, PhDPatricia Silva, PhD says:

Hello, I would like to clarify one point of this study, researchers did not use pomegranate or pomegranate seed oil, they used a specific formulation that increases the bioavailability and activity of pomegranate’s natural antioxidants – a so-called nano droplet formulation of pomegranate seed oil (Nano-PSO)created in the laboratory. According to the authors of the study, and as written in the article, “The oil, when delivered to mice in its natural form, was beneficial only at very high dosages”. One should also keep in mind that these studies need to be confirmed in humans.

8. William Giese says:

Well, can I put the oil in a blender with water and then drink the result? Some of us have less time than others and require practical how-to details now.

• April says:

Having already advanced to being bedridden with my PPMS…if things won’t “improve” then I’m not sure I would bother if I was to just remain in this state for the rest of my days ?

9. MissCurious says:

Dear Patricia,

I would be very grateful if you could confirm something for me.

The article above made a distinction between the oil when administered in its natural form and the nano PSO. With regards to the oil when administered in its natural form it says ONLY beneficial at very high doses. Could you kindly verify the research and specify what those amounts were found to be.

Obviously this has not been tested in humans, but I think everyone here has a common aim on finding out whether we can help ourselves in any way without the wait for nano-PSO….

Kind regards

• Patricia Silva, PhDPatricia Silva, PhD says:

Hello Nadia,
      The authors do answer your question in their article. This is what they wrote, “Lower levels of PSO were not effective against the disease. While this constitutes a proof of principle that high levels of PSO can have an anti-EAE effect, such levels of oil, in particular when converted to human doses (4–12 mL of oil/d), are difficult to consume on a daily basis.”
      So according to the researchers, theoretically, one would have to consume 4 to 12 ml of oil per day to actually see an effect.
      Kind regards,

10. Allie says:

I’ve just bought some organic pomegranate seed oil from Amazon. Just a quick question, can I take this orally & if so in what quantity? Many thanks in advance of replies ?

11. April says:

Does this apply to just RRMS patients? Or is this found to be helpful in advanced Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis?
    It’s rare to find anything that will help someone with PPMS. Most advancements are geared toward the general form of Multiple Sclerosis (RRMS)
    I don’t want to bother if this hasn’t been shown to help in PPMS patients.
    I really hope someone will take the time to answer my question here. I’d very much appreciate it.
    (I was diagnosed in 2011 and am now completely bedridden with Malignant PPMS (also known as Marbug Variant MS) so I sit on the 5% of people with this rare, aggressive form of MS)

• Patricia Silva, PhDPatricia Silva, PhD says:

Hi April, researchers conducted this study in mice, so the results still need to be confirmed in humans, either with PPMS or RRMS.

12. Vicinia Phillips says:

I truly believe that the answer to this disease is right under our noses. I pray to God for the cure to happen in the very near future and I believe that it will. I read any article and glean through the fine print in order to see if there’s a similar thread that would give us in the MS world hope. 34 years of hearing that I don’t appear sick; but now I ride around on a scooter and try to cheer people up. The last six years have drastically altered my life and the choices seem unattainable. Costs for stem cells and the treatment to receive them is not for the faint hearted. Please keep us posted should there be anything productive coming out of your research.