4 Ways Ocrevus Can Improve Your Life

4 Ways Ocrevus Can Improve Your Life
4.5
(23)

Ocrevus was approved by the FDA at the end of March but the buzz hasn’t died down.Though there is some trepidation, the MS community is incredibly excited about what the new “game-changing” medication can do for patients all across the country.

Here are just a few ways that Ocrevus can improve patients’ quality of life:

It’s only administered every six months.
While many drugs are administered daily or weekly, Ocrevus is only administered twice a year after the initial dose (which is split in half and injected two weeks apart). Though the administration needs to be overseen by a health care team (meaning you have to go somewhere for treatment), at least patients will only have to worry about scheduling the doses every six months.

It can delay the progression of the disease.
Clearly, this is the big one. The MS community is so excited about Ocrevus because it’s the first drug approved for PPMS, and preliminary results showed that it can slow the progression of the disease.

MORE: Five things to know about the new MS drug Ocrevus

It can limit relapses.
In addition to slowing the progression of the disease, Ocrevus has also been shown to stop relapses (in the trial, it halted the disease in nearly half of RMS patients) and improve symptoms. Many patients in the clinical trial saw reduced pain levels and improved brain function (a.k.a. less brain fog).

It can improve your body’s ability to move.
As MS progresses, walking often becomes more difficult. One of the key markers in the Ocrevus clinical trials was the walk test. Patients taking Orevus reduced the time required to walk 25 feet by 29 percent. In addition to walking ability, researchers studied MS patients ability to move their bodies on Ocrevus, and those scores improved as well.

MORE: Ocrevus approval: a quick cheat sheet

Multiple Sclerosis News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 4.5 / 5. Vote count: 23

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

• Hill says:

Yes they really help I just started the new medication and I don’t pay anything I don’t have any Insurance at all. My Dr just took me off Texadera and the Ocrevus really works I feel it working . I can walk and move my body parts

• michelle Kenyon says:

presume u are on this drug. i am in Australia and would be extremely grateful if u could talk to me about it? thx

• Theresa Martin says:

I have had ms 26 years. For last 2 years I’ve been walking with cane. I haven’t been able to open my hand in a year. I can open it again. I feel great. I’m wonderful if it’s fron ocrivous.

• Kathy Bates says:

There are many programs out there to help pay for this infusion. This is my brother’s first dose, which is broken into 2 separate doses, so this is our completion of the first dose. He is totally in a wheel chair and can no longer take care of himself. His Sunshine Health is paying 100% for him!! Have already had some improvement with his thinking process as well as more movement with his body!!

• Caryn Kreg says:

Your Dr can help you fill out a form and if you qualify you can get your infusion paid for by the pharmaceutical company who makes the medication. I just got approved . Ask your doctor. Good luck and God bless you

1. Anonymous says:

Very few people can afford the medication($70,000 per dose) but manufacturer will help if you need assistance paying for it

• Vivian says:

I have lived with MS for the last 23 years and I’ve been on different medications for it I have had multiple relapses but I’m on medication now and it seems to be working I am a veteranIs anyone out that’s Was diagnosed with MS after leaving the military

• Vivian says:

I have lived with MS for the last 23 years and I’ve been on different medications for it I have had multiple relapses that affect my walking, but I’m on medication now and it seems to be working I’m a veteran diagnosed with him at after I left the military anyone out there I was diagnosed with MS after leaving the military I’m handling it but some days it’s hard

2. Kristin Neyhart says:

I’ve been on several MS medications over the years tysabri betaseron tecfedera now copaxone was very active now can hardly move trying to keep a neurologist is another task

• joann kaplan says:

Hi Julie: I am trying to find out the exact same thing. Everything I read only references R&R or SPMS. However, my doctor suggests I take Ocrevus even though I am SPMS.

• Maree Milne says:

Hi there. I have SPMS and have had MS for just over 30 years. My wonderful neuro Prof Carroll (world leader in MS)Perth Australia put me on Ocrevus. Been taking this now 3 infusions. I have had big improvement particularly in bladder. Gone from cathing 4 times daily to two. Hardly any urine retention now so goodbye UTIS! I too had misgivings as mother died of breast cancer but so thku given chance to be o it.

• Surjit says:

Hi Maree Milne.
            My name is Surjit age 54.i am from india and suffering from ms for last 20 years.I am on wheel chair and cant walk.I have big problem of urine bladder always having acute UTI.I cant do self catheterisation because of weakness in wright hand.Please let me know Is Ocrevus drug is free for Australian citizens.I am in big trouble please guide me what should I do as in india this drug is quite expensive and I cant afford.I will wait for your mail please reply. Regards

3. Pam Tanguay says:

This drug sounds really promising. I am on Tysabri now. My only fear is the increase for breast cancer since it runs in my family. If I decide to switch to this drug, I will mandate that I have mammograms every 6 months at least.

• Lee Barber says:

I have my 2nd infusion on 29/05/19 via the NHS in the UK, I have had MS since 2002, diagnosed 2014, approved for DMT (Ocrelizumab) 2019 upon requesting it and HSCT if it doesn’t work so fingers crossed

My diet is pecstatarian, no dairy, meat, excess sugar and supplemented with vitamin D (4000 IU), magnesium, vitamin A, Omega 3 capsules and weight training 🙂

4. Tozz says:

Had MS since 2005Just started my first octopus infusion last week after tecfedera and copaxone in past…… was very active until 3 years back… started to loose my left leg usage and long story short here I am…. after infusion felt like i had been hit by a train for about 2 hrs…. since then I’ve never felt better…. fingers crossed…. good luck to you all

• Maxine lomas says:

Hi I’m just waiting for my infusion date I’m feeling scared but the capaxzone no longer effective. Any tips would be greatfully recieved

5. Anonymous says:

Im SPMS, been in tysabri two years switch to Ocrevus, at June 2017, in December 2018 i became disabled in a wheelchair, continued with the infusions until June 2019, i been able to stand up from the wheelchair with help, legs shaking but i feel the treatment is working, MRI shows some vrain lesions are gone and i was blind in my left eye since 2016, ibeen able to see very blurry but from been blind its wonderful, been on Ampyra and 4000 vitamin D daily, also Baclofen for the spasm, i hope the treatment help me regain some of my life back.

6. Jill says:

I was diagnosed with Ms last year.i started ocrevus and have had 3 infusions.this is my first and only treatment.after infusion I feel like I was hit by a truck.headaches,can’t sleep.i do also get a steroid prior so I’m sure that is where symptoms come from as well…I was very weak for about a month after this time…I’ve had 2 relapses but I can walk without numbness, pins and needles,foot drop.so feel pretty lucky..expensive but my insurance covers it…

7. Patricia Jones says:

Hi I have had SPMS since 2000 I am completely in a wheelchair and have limited use of my left arm I am unable to void have a supra pubic catheter I have been on many MS drugs including 2 kinds of chemotherapy has anyonr had chemo prior to trying ocrevus? I truly want some of my life back

8. Fatima says:

Really is it free in Australia I am 18 years and I am suffering from Ms since 2018 I have trouble in walking and in my right hand is not working so can anyone tell me will ocrevus can improve my walk?

9. ira says:

I am 67 and worked all my life building jails and fed prisons one day my legs just were not good than I was told I have MS all test MS
    i got my FFL lic and make side money selling legal guns in PA i have a
    good and bad days walking my wALKING IS getting bad so my doctor is going to try OCREVUS HAS IT HELPED ANY BODY MOVE BETTER

10. Tracy Brown says:

I’m scheduled for fifth Ocrevus treatment at end of this month. It is a wonder drug and have experienced much improvement with my 30 plus years of MS. However, I am calling out of work for second day in a row. Numb feet, right hand, numb right side of face, chostachondritis making me feel like heart attack will do me in. Does anyone here have experience with relapse while taking Ocrevus?

11. Ashley Corda says:

Just was recently diagnosed with MS back in January, I am 34. I am using the patient assistance program for Ocrevus. Anyone interested in this, you can call 844-627-3887 or visit their site at OCREVUSCopay.com/HCP

I went for my first infusion treatment this morning. It went a lot better than I thought it would. I felt very tired after the pre meds they administer and fairly tired after the treatment was over but after a couple of hours not as bad. Hoping I will see improvement with a little time of being on this as I have heard great things.

To all that are worried about the cost, the patient assistance will cover the medication entirely, depending on your insurance and how much you make. Either way they will still try to cover a portion of the medication. The infusions are covered entirely by my insurance and most insurance plans will either cover them or you’ll have a small co-pay for it.

Best of luck to all and god bless anyone battling MS. Stay strong!