4 Ways Ocrevus Can Improve Your Life

4 Ways Ocrevus Can Improve Your Life

Ocrevus was approved by the FDA at the end of March but the buzz hasn’t died down.Though there is some trepidation, the MS community is incredibly excited about what the new “game-changing” medication can do for patients all across the country.

Here are just a few ways that Ocrevus can improve patients’ quality of life:

It’s only administered every six months.
While many drugs are administered daily or weekly, Ocrevus is only administered twice a year after the initial dose (which is split in half and injected two weeks apart). Though the administration needs to be overseen by a health care team (meaning you have to go somewhere for treatment), at least patients will only have to worry about scheduling the doses every six months.

It can delay the progression of the disease.
Clearly, this is the big one. The MS community is so excited about Ocrevus because it’s the first drug approved for PPMS, and preliminary results showed that it can slow the progression of the disease.

MORE: Five things to know about the new MS drug Ocrevus

It can limit relapses.
In addition to slowing the progression of the disease, Ocrevus has also been shown to stop relapses (in the trial, it halted the disease in nearly half of RMS patients) and improve symptoms. Many patients in the clinical trial saw reduced pain levels and improved brain function (a.k.a. less brain fog).

It can improve your body’s ability to move.
As MS progresses, walking often becomes more difficult. One of the key markers in the Ocrevus clinical trials was the walk test. Patients taking Orevus reduced the time required to walk 25 feet by 29 percent. In addition to walking ability, researchers studied MS patients ability to move their bodies on Ocrevus, and those scores improved as well.

MORE: Ocrevus approval: a quick cheat sheet

Multiple Sclerosis News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.

1. Anonymous says:

Very few people can afford the medication($70,000 per dose) but manufacturer will help if you need assistance paying for it

2. Kristin Neyhart says:

I’ve been on several MS medications over the years tysabri betaseron tecfedera now copaxone was very active now can hardly move trying to keep a neurologist is another task

• joann kaplan says:

Hi Julie: I am trying to find out the exact same thing. Everything I read only references R&R or SPMS. However, my doctor suggests I take Ocrevus even though I am SPMS.

• Maree Milne says:

Hi there. I have SPMS and have had MS for just over 30 years. My wonderful neuro Prof Carroll (world leader in MS)Perth Australia put me on Ocrevus. Been taking this now 3 infusions. I have had big improvement particularly in bladder. Gone from cathing 4 times daily to two. Hardly any urine retention now so goodbye UTIS! I too had misgivings as mother died of breast cancer but so thku given chance to be o it.

3. Pam Tanguay says:

This drug sounds really promising. I am on Tysabri now. My only fear is the increase for breast cancer since it runs in my family. If I decide to switch to this drug, I will mandate that I have mammograms every 6 months at least.

• Lee Barber says:

I have my 2nd infusion on 29/05/19 via the NHS in the UK, I have had MS since 2002, diagnosed 2014, approved for DMT (Ocrelizumab) 2019 upon requesting it and HSCT if it doesn’t work so fingers crossed

My diet is pecstatarian, no dairy, meat, excess sugar and supplemented with vitamin D (4000 IU), magnesium, vitamin A, Omega 3 capsules and weight training 🙂

4. Tozz says:

Had MS since 2005Just started my first octopus infusion last week after tecfedera and copaxone in past…… was very active until 3 years back… started to loose my left leg usage and long story short here I am…. after infusion felt like i had been hit by a train for about 2 hrs…. since then I’ve never felt better…. fingers crossed…. good luck to you all

5. Anonymous says:

Im SPMS, been in tysabri two years switch to Ocrevus, at June 2017, in December 2018 i became disabled in a wheelchair, continued with the infusions until June 2019, i been able to stand up from the wheelchair with help, legs shaking but i feel the treatment is working, MRI shows some vrain lesions are gone and i was blind in my left eye since 2016, ibeen able to see very blurry but from been blind its wonderful, been on Ampyra and 4000 vitamin D daily, also Baclofen for the spasm, i hope the treatment help me regain some of my life back.