Fox News Meteorologist With MS Claps Back After Viewer Criticizes Her Legs

It doesn’t take much to get criticized for your appearance – especially when you’re a public figure.

Whether you’re in movies or on TV, being in the media seems to give viewers the idea that they can voice their opinion whenever they feel like it.

Which is exactly what happened to Fox News meteorologist Janice Dean.

After a viewer wrote in criticizing Dean’s apparel, saying “please stop allowing Fox to dress you in those short skirts. They are not flattering on you. Your [sic] an attractive lady, love the ’80s hair, but your legs are distracting every time you walk on screen,” Janice clapped back in the best possible way.

MORE: Five tips for parenting with multiple sclerosis

The meteorologist wrote, “Fox doesn’t dress me. I dress myself. I’m sorry if you don’t like my legs. I’m grateful I have them to walk with. You’re right. I don’t look like the typical person on TV, and I’m proud to be a size 10. Imagine that! You can always turn the channel if you’re offended by my huge legs.”

What the reader didn’t realize is that Dean was diagnosed with MS more than 10 years ago. She explained that normally a message like that one would have upset her (“my legs have always been a sore spot for me”) but that she’s now incredibly proud of them. Since her MS could take her ability to walk “literally any day,” she says she’s “grateful for them every day.”

MORE: Three tips for newly diagnosed multiple sclerosis patients

Multiple Sclerosis News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.

1. Craig M Shaw says:

I too have MS, induced by my USAF inoculations/ e vaccinations in 1978. My legs for the last 5 years or more, and I’m 58 now, have lost their muscle strength. I am in physical therapy, working hard, still walking, with great effort. I hope to keep on my feet until I get much older. And from one MSr, to another to another I think you are beautiful and a super news personality. Thank you for your service

2. Linda Pasini says:

Janice, you have great legs! Remember when people say unkind things it is never about you but reveals their deficiencies as a human. Keep up the fight with MS.

3. Barb says:

Be very proud you have your legs. I think they look great!! Wish I still had mine. Dx’d with MS in 2009…wheelchair bound since 2014. Just happy to be able to get up every day.

4. Gregory Virostko says:

I have a mess as well and I know that you can lose your ability to walk at any moment. I deal with chronic leg pain and and have for years so good for you, by the way thank your legs are beautiful.

5. Trish Boske says:

I love the attitude! I do as much as I can every chance I get. I have a 15 yr old and a 12 yr old and I do my best to keep up with them everyday. I’m going to do all I can until the MS stops me. I love that it’s not stopping you!

6. Joyce Neace says:

Good health is not a promise, but a blessing! Sooner or later an illness comes knocking on all doors! Standing in love and support for all people with MS! It is difficult to live with a chronic illness from day to day! I think you are a beautiful lady, legs and all, so just keep on doing your thing!!!!! God bless you!!!!

7. Sheri Dennis says:

You show them legs girl. If I were you I’d wear shorter dresses just to show them off more. Best wishes and love to you.

8. Emily says:

Way to go JD!!! I am 35 yrs old with MS, diagnosed in 2004…also, I’m a wife & a mother to 2 very active toddler boys! I know there are many things that I can’t & will never be able to do with them BUT there are sooo many other non physical activities that I can!!!

9. Renee Chance says:

Bless your heart. I’m proud of you! Never met you and I live in a different state. Stay strong. The struggle is real. I was dx in 2013. I don’t have the energy anymore to do a job. I had one that I loved for 25 yrs and had to give it up. Keep doing what you do. 🙂

10. Suzie says:

Your legs look great. Wish I was only a size 10. My husband has MS as well. He’s had people tell him to “have another drink”, when he loses his balance walking with his cane. Cut him off in grocery stores or kick his cane not watching where they’re walking. Come on people, if you can’t say something nice say nothing!