Exploring Multiple Sclerosis From the Inside With Jack Osbourne

Jack Osbourne is well-known within the multiple sclerosis community — and the world over, to be honest. Known since the day he was born for being Ozzy Osbourne’s son, the celebrity was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) in 2012, after he noticed numbness in his legs and went blind in his right eye.

MORE: Jack Osbourne is quite open about his personal battle with relapse-remitting multiple sclerosis

In this video from You Don’t Know Jack About MS®, Jack Osbourne and Dr. Crabtree’s animated characters navigate the insides of a person with MS to teach the audience more about how the condition manifests itself through common symptoms. Jack created You Don’t Know Jack About MS, to spread awareness of the disease for those who are newly diagnosed. He also documents his own daily struggles through webisodes which often feature others who are managing the disease.

MORE: Jack Osbourne’s advice on living a healthier life with multiple sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.

1. Agnes Weessies says:

Jack, you’re doing great work getting what MS is, out to the public. I thank you very much for what you do. Problem is YOU JACK, don’t know jack! Yes it is great giving out information about MS and symptoms. Yet the symptoms are varied. For every person diagnosed who has current (GOOD and responsible) insurance or the ability to pay out of pocket for the tests needed to confirm the diagnosis and then get treatment, there are thousands who can’t overcome that hurdle. As the mother of a son just one year older than you I know the battle getting the diagnosis was and continues to be. You got the diagnosis early enough that yes it has its effects, but you didn’t have to go through being days from dying before finally the tests were done. Then for the run of the mill person you get that diagnosis and breathe a sigh of relief that there is a reason behind your body’s revolt. You are then faced with the real nightmare. Getting treatment seems a breeze. I fought like no other b!t*h can do. It still took 5 months to get in to see ANY neurologist. Even then it is not assured you will get treatment. Tim was informed at 4:30 pm the day before he was to receive his first infusion of tysabri that a nurse practitioner that oversaw all the drugs for medicaid in our state was going to review if the neurologist knew what he was doing and if treatment was needed. I bet your own mother would have gone to battle like I did. Long story short the first treatment was only delayed an hour and the Governor called and apologized to my son. Yes I moved a mountain. That brings up what about the other spouses/parents/care givers that run headlong into this crevasse of endless road blocks? I won for now, but others are stuck just trying to get that diagnosis. I look back and the first time Tim had symptoms that !most likely were the beginnings of an exacerbation was when he was 9 years old. The major episodes didn’t hit until he was about 21. At age 30 he was fighting for his life. Today he is mostly out of his wheelchair and can walk about a city block with a cane. His brain is totally covered with the lesions and a golfball sized black hole from the advancement of the disease. Yet he volunteers in the inpatient rehab department (those with neurological tramas) at the hospital he was in. He is there to encourage and be an example of what can be accomplished. He is also a moderator for one of the online MS boards. He is giving back what he can.

So when I say you don’t know Jack! I mean it from the perspective of one who is constantly battling in ways you have been fortunate not to have encountered. More needs to be done. There are noe over 400K diagnosised in this country alone with MS. That is diagnosised! How many more are just fighting to find out what is happening to them? Even if a Doctor knows what it is, they are hampered for the vast majority of patients by insurance. Its not about ObamaCare, it is the insurance companies themselves and their denials. Read erisa laws and find out what most people have to battle before they can battle MS. Then if you get (big if there) medicaid and eventually medicare, you face news road blocks and denials. What happens is the system takes a vital person and reduces them to an invalid.that is the real battle front for people with MS. The system that denies them.

Sorry I get long winded. Again you are doing a good job for the area you cover.

• Tammy says:

Wow, I’m sorry you have to keep fighting for your son. I’m sure it’s hell.
      However, I don’t understand the “Problem is YOU JACK” comment. How is Mr. Osbourne the problem?

He is suffering with this disease like the rest of us. Due to his “celebrity” he can shine a light on ms that is needed. Honestly, I don’t care how the word gets out… as long as it does. As an ms patient myself, I appreciate seeing all that Mr. Osbourne accomplishes. It reminds me that I’m not helpless. “I can- I do”.

I hope that you get help for your son. Please be thankful that we are working for and towards a cure

2. Craig Tyler says:

At a loss as to why he didn’t get HSCT. All of the clinical trials over the last 15 years consistently demonstrates it to be the most effective treatment for MS.

• Donna says:

I wonder that too, Craig. I thought I saw a picture of him a short time after his dx with very short hair. I wonder if he did and keeps it on the down-low since he is a spokesperson for the MS society and for whatever drug he gets paid to advertise. *Shrug* just thinking out loud…

• Donna says:

I agree, Amanda. I wonder about Montell Williams too. He is already bald so we wouldn’t know. He has a multi million dollar line of products he claims that have “cured” him, so he probably wouldn’t admit to having HSCT either.

• Donna says:

HSCT is done 100’s of times every day for leukemia and lymphoma,Pat. The mortality is less 1%. It’s not anymore riskier than taking the MS drugs that have black box warnings! The DMD’S don’t “always work either AND HSCT can STOP the progression. Something that NONE of the drugs can do…
      It doesn’t sound like you know very much about it, so I’d like to give you a link so you can join a group of people who have done it and have spent a lot of time putting information from research out there to help others. It has been in trials for over 17 years and has helped so many people, but most of us don’t know anything about it! Oddly enough, most neurologists know very little about as well because, it’s really a hematology specialty. MS is a blood disorder that presents itself with neurological difficulties.. a neurologist can only treat our symptoms. A hematologist can stop our disease, just like they do with cancer. I’ve been diagnosed for over 21 years and was getting worse every day..fast. I had HSCT last February and now I get better every day. Research it. It works! ☺

• Jess says:

Hi Donna thank you for your comment I was wondering if I could talk to you privately about this procedure I am a very private person I am 33 years old with three little kids. Thank you so much! Email is [email protected]

• Amanda Stillwagon says:

Did you know that the risk of death is know that the risk of death from HSCT preformed after 2005 is now 0.3%. Obviously you didn’t or you wouldn’t have posted the comment that you did. That makes it just as safe if not safer than the MS medications, with an 80% effective rate of placing MS into long term remission with no further need of medication. I checked into the hospital today, February 12, 2018 for HSCT. I am getting rid of this monster once and for all! If you don’t believe me here is a published paper quoting the same statics. http://jnnp.bmj.com/content/early/2017/09/02/jnnp-2017-316271

• Donna says:

Yay Amanda! My one year stem cell transplant is today. It was the best thing that I have ever done and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I will spend the rest of my life telling people about it, since we can’t depend on the MS society or our neurologists to educate us about it! Good luck and God bless! 💜

3. Eoghan Brophy says:

Hi Jack,

Word of the week: Naltrexone.
    Word for the week after: Clemastine.
    Google both. This is the first step to a functional cure.

All the best,
    Eoghan

4. I was diagnosed in the fall of 2012 after struggling for years. I was misdiagnosed with Epstein Bahr and Lyme disease for several years prior. I now have secondary progressive ms and try to get through with the support of my family. I even wrote a book about my journey. A Dad With MS- Some Superheroes Have a Cape and a Cane

5. A Dad with MS- Some Superheroes Have a Cape and a Cane : This is the story of my journey with mis diagnosis, the struggle of having to go on disability and what I call my new normal. Superherowithacane.com

6. Pat hawkins says:

I do know about HSCT Donna,and I know someone who did not live through it,and i know it works for people,and I do agree DMD’s are poison,and that’s why in Russia where HSCT is performed there are very strict guide lines to have it done because it is risky,and by the way anything to do with chemotherapy at the high levels they give u for HSTC for m.s is very risky……read about that Donna

• Donna says:

I had HSCT last year after researching it for two years, Deb, so I hardly need to read anything more about it…but thanks for the suggestion. I do appreciate it. It doesn’t sound like you have done much research on it,as you keep repeating things that aren’t facts. Did you know that they’ve been doing HSCT for MS in the United States for almost 20 years in trials? The mortality rate is less than .5%, it’s “riskier” to drive a car than have HSCT, a medical procedure that has been done since the sixties. Also, the chemo that is given for MS is less than what they give for Leukemia. It’s only four days of chemotherapy and to be quite honest, it was fine. It was way easier than having MS for 20 years, that’s for sure! 😀

7. Tara Hanna says:

Hi there, Jack! I love This! One request I have and am sure many do. How can we get HSCT at an affordable price? This is something I would love but on my middle class salary, I can’t afford tens of thousands of dollars let alone hundreds of thousands. Who do we need to talk to to fight for affordable HSCT? I’m willing to participate and fight! I’m in great shape for someone with MS and I’d like to keep it that way and improve even more. Thank you for everything you’re doing 🙂 P.S. I voted for you on Dancing with the Stars!

8. Mike M says:

Jack osbourne did his stem cell treatment in 2013, when it was still illegal in the united states. He received it in Germany.