Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Mobility Aids Are you or were you reluctant to try mobility devices?

• jacqueline

March 27, 2019 at 3:26 am

Oh yes, I remember my walking  changes probably 1 year – 18 months before diagnoses when me and my other half went out for the day to a place called Luton Hoo, a Stately Home ( UK ) to visit their garden grounds. I so wanted to use my ” hiking ” stick but thought it I would embarrass my other half , so I never took it but, oh how I wish that I had…I was ok walking from the grounds car park and walking the length of the grounds towards the Mansion house, path and uneven grass, then came unstuck when walking towards the fountain, came rather dizzy, then walking down  a long sloping pathway, I got half way, then I just could not move, he couldn’t understand why, and he kept pressurising me that it was flat ground, and to walk further. Well  flat ground  it may have been but, I couldn’t move, I was stuck on grass, not knowing which way to turn, left otr right. How I got back on the path, back to the car was anyone’s guess, anyway after that, I used my stick, I didn’t care anymore about embarrassment, to him or myself..Of course now I have since progressed to a rollator…

• debi-wilson

March 27, 2019 at 9:44 am

That must have been terrible, Jackie! I could visualize that scary scenario as I read it. It is so true, we just need to use what will help us and not worry about it.