• Diagnosing MS?

Posted by jon-fisher on May 5, 2018 at 11:38 pm

So I had an attack in Feb that looked like a stroke. After reading my mri , my neuro said I prob developed MS 30 yrs, ago. I am now 48. I do have multiple s/s but I always attributed it to other things like aging. I had a clean spinal tap and my neuro is now testing me for anything and everything-all negative thus far. I completely trust my neurologist. But, I am confused why he was so certain after the mri, but now not so sure. I don’t see him again until June. Thoughts?

ed-tobias replied 5 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • jacqueline

May 6, 2018 at 1:23 am

I am wondering why our MS medical teams are so quick with these words of ” you have probably had MS for some time..”

I only noticed ” strange things happening to my walking ” I guess, 18 months before diagnoses, which I can only assume, that what they actually mean by it is, MS lays  maybe ” dormant ” in us, before it first shows itself…

Funny you mention a stroke Jon, as one thing I suddenly noticed was one of my eye lids was drooping, my right eye, and it is my right side that MS more affects me, so, I too had wondered if I had had some form of a ” silent ” stroke going back to the start of my leading up to my start of MS 4 – 5 years ago…But if so, I had an MRI brain scan that if I had had a stroke would have picked it up…think I asked my Consultant at the time and he said no..but I do wonder..

• ed-tobias

May 6, 2018 at 11:12 am

Hi Jon,

I’d suggest a second opinion, preferably with a neurologist who specializes in MS. I’d also ask him to review the MRI report with you and to show you on the MRI image what he’s seeing that makes him certain that you have MS.

Ed

• debi-wilson

May 6, 2018 at 10:13 am

Hi Jon and Jackie,
    My symptoms started years before my diagnosis. With
    slight imbalance issues and an incident of a blurry left eye. It was in my late 40’s my walking was off and it continued for a few years and then the Doctors finally found lesions on my brain and spine on the MRI.

• cassie

May 6, 2018 at 1:48 pm

I agree with Ed.  Find the nearest MS center and get another opinion.

• jacqueline

May 6, 2018 at 3:34 pm

When we think, there are many other Illnesses that mimic MS…One I recently looked up was Guillain Barre Syndrome…I particularly took notice of this one, as it stated it starts with the hands and feet before spreading to the arms and legs, as mine had…Two things on separate occasions I had mentioned to my local GPs during conversation when I had visited for BP readings or blood sample takings etc etc. )

The main difference I have read is that,  ” While MS destroys the myelin of the central nervous system –  GBS destroys the myelin of the peripheral nerves…

• greg-whittier

August 15, 2018 at 12:52 pm

I had Guillain Barre Syndrome after a brain injury due to a fall and was diagnosed with MS many years before (Yes, I’m an overachiever). I understand that GBS affects the myelin like MS does but the mylon repairs itself! I told my Neurologist that I was surprised about the self-repair but he wasn’t surprised (I suspect because it’s not affecting myelin in the “Central Nervous System” but  the peripheral nerves).

• debi-wilson

May 7, 2018 at 7:46 pm

That is interesting about GBS, Jackie.
    That is why MS is so difficult to diagnose. To many diseases with to many similarities.
    So there is no cure for GBS either?

• debi-wilson

August 16, 2018 at 9:49 am

Hi Greg,

Thank-you for sharing your story! I had no idea that in GBS the myelin can repair itself!  Amazing! I wish that was also the case in MS!

• jacqueline

August 16, 2018 at 2:41 pm

Just found this link…we may find this Interesting…( 19 July 2018 )

https://msra.org.au/news/develop-promising-myelin-repair/

• ed-tobias

August 16, 2018 at 9:08 pm

Yep. There are a number of studies in the works regarding remyelination. I hope one of them discovers a useful process.

Ed

• debi-wilson

August 16, 2018 at 4:53 pm

A very interesting article Jackie. My neurologist was just saying that remyelination therapies are on the horizon!  My article in a couple weeks will be on that subject . Thanks for sharing!