Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Does the summer heat keep you housebound?

• Does the summer heat keep you housebound?

Posted by Debi Wilson on July 10, 2018 at 7:53 pm

Summer heat can hold those of us with MS captive. Knowing how the heat can make us feel, we may choose to stay close to home and air conditioning.

How are you dealing with the heat? Is it keeping you housebound?

Debi Wilson replied 5 years, 9 months ago 6 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Ann M

July 11, 2018 at 5:19 pm

YES! I can’t stand the heat (and the intense cold for that matter!)  Basically I stay close to home in the summer and the winter months…boring! The Spring and the Fall are my seasons to enjoy :).

• Debi Wilson

July 11, 2018 at 5:54 pm

I can relate to what you are saying Ann. We (Oregon) are having a heatwave this week and next! I’m not looking forward to it!

• ed-tobias

July 11, 2018 at 6:55 pm

The heat used to bother me more than the cold. Now, it’s the other way around. I’ll take summer over winter anytime, as long as air conditioning or a swimming pool is nearby.

• Debi Wilson

July 11, 2018 at 7:41 pm

Does the humidity bother you Ed or Ann? That seems to get me most!

• Jacqueline

July 12, 2018 at 1:17 am

Winter over summer for me now…We have been in a hot spell for several weeks now, not seen any rain for weeks, I would welcome some rain….Yes the strong sun, no cooling breeze affects me, I tend now to just hibernate indoors…Autumn and Winter cant get here quick enough for me, I am counting the days and the months….I can take the weather in the low 70s but not when it reaches the 80s or touching on 90…which it has been doing…

• Debi Wilson

July 12, 2018 at 11:18 am

Hi Jackie!

I agree! I love to be outside enjoying the sun,  but, I can’t handle it.  Today is  supposed to be 98 degrees and 88% humidity ?

• Pattie Goshtigian

July 12, 2018 at 1:08 pm

Yes, I spend most of my time in doors between home and work.

• Debi Wilson

July 12, 2018 at 5:42 pm

Thank goodness for air conditioning! Right, Pattie!:)

• Jacqueline

July 13, 2018 at 2:25 am

Yes I too now have an office oscillating desk fan and a tower oscillating floor fan for the living room…in these heats, one certainly does need them…

• Debi Wilson

July 13, 2018 at 3:44 pm

So true, Jackie! Sounds like you are prepared!

• Patricia Sunny Falon

July 16, 2018 at 3:28 pm

I decided to escape outside because my husband had gone out on his mobility scooter to meet up at the park with some younger members of his family to feed the wading birds.

I clipped some odd bits of long grass with long handled shears and zapped some weeds with a spray. I was out in the sun less than 10 minutes and am now laid up and exhausted after 2 days.

I would normally stay indoors in this heat but I was getting stir crazy…lol

What has been really helpful this summer was a portable air purifier. I dread to think how much worse the indoors would be without it

• Debi Wilson

July 16, 2018 at 5:39 pm

I understand being stir crazy Sunny! I know, how it is going outside and paying for it for days! But, sometimes you just have to !

I hope you are feeling better!