Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Do you know that tight clothing can affect MS symptoms?

• Do you know that tight clothing can affect MS symptoms?

Posted by Debi Wilson on March 30, 2019 at 1:16 pm

Did you know that tight, ill-fitted clothing and shoes can aggravate your MS symptoms? Do you make sure what you are wearing is loose and non restricting?

Jacqueline replied 5 years ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Jacqueline

March 30, 2019 at 1:48 pm

Debi, I have often thought of this, well recently I have been…I stopped wearing skirts with fixed waist band, side buttons and side-back zips, as too fiddly. I have exchange these now for pull-on elastic waisted jersey skirts but, not sure I have been doing myself any favours as the elastic around my waist might be hindering my MS rather than helping, you make a good point.

Jackie.

• Debi Wilson

March 30, 2019 at 1:56 pm

Thanks Jackie,I have to be really conscious of it. It can really set my leg cramps off if something is too tight!

• Jacqueline

March 30, 2019 at 4:01 pm

Yes the MS stomach bloat, where we always look as if we are pregnant. Do the MS men suffer this too?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 30, 2019 at 4:47 pm

It just dawned on my last night, I will never wear a belt again.  Since the earthquakes I haven’t even worn a bra and no jewelry.  I wear an ahh bra, like a tank top.  It’s elastic waistbands for me all the way.  Old lady pants lol.  And I wear tunics.  I have just spent the last 18 months getting a new wardrobe as I have put on weight from sitting around alot.  I have been shopping at Aliexpress online, cheaper than here in my own country and stuff arrives at your door, that’s the best part.  I have donated all my skinny clothes, never to be skinny again I believe, oh the good old days.

• Jacqueline

March 30, 2019 at 5:21 pm

I too dont wear a bra anymore, ( cant be doing with the fiddly hooks, ) stopped wearing those after I was diagnosed, I now prefer wool and silk vests, although I do own a couple of ” Sloggi ” all one piece pull-on bras.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 31, 2019 at 9:09 pm

Yep bra’s are gone.  YAY, I have just found another top that will be great instead of a bra, a tightish tank top will do the job perfectly in the summer.  I have a couple of one piece bra tops for winter.  Got all that sorted.

• Jacqueline

April 1, 2019 at 2:43 am

Ha ha Jilly, that’s one less item of clothing we need to fork out our money on.

• Collette Randall

December 14, 2020 at 2:04 pm

I agree, because recently I didn’t understand why my back hurt and I got tired very quickly, I went to the doctor and he recommended me to wear bras a little wider or made of soft material. Surfing the internet I found a site with a large assortment of bras, and I took a pair and I was impressed that they are very high quality and comfortable.