Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Dr. Oz lists 4 MS myths

• Jacqueline

March 15, 2019 at 11:59 am

Ed, I cant view it as I get a message pop up, ” Before you Continue, Yahoo is now part of the oath family. We (oath) and our partners need your (my) consent to access your (my) device, set cookies and use your (my) data including your ( my) location. I am not going to select Ok to allow oath or their partners to use my data or select my options. Is anyone else getting this message?

• Jacqueline

March 15, 2019 at 3:21 pm

As I cant view the link, these are just my guesses.

Myth 1) MS only happens to young people – wrong.

To be honest I was very naive and thought when I got it that it was an old persons Illness- disease. That was until I found out Primary Progressive is only in the 10% to 15% of people over 50 who get it.

Myth 2) MS shortens our lifespan – well maybe by a few years, but otherwise we can live as long as anyone else.

• Jacqueline

March 17, 2019 at 2:14 am

Ed thank you for message but in my opinion he has still omitted my number 1)  ” MS only happens to young people, ” as we now know, that is untrue, we-I am proof of that, there are many who get Primary Progressive in our later years. I am surprised that hasn’t been included in his myths.

Before my diagnoses one of my previous GPs almost laughed at me when I mentioned to him ” could it be MS ” I now know the reason, because of my age at the time, 64.

Jackie

• Jacqueline

March 17, 2019 at 3:05 am

Oh forgot to add, yes agree, whatever ailments anyone is suffering with exercise will always play an important part, we have to keep every part of our body flowing of some form of movements, as and when possible of course. We have to look after our bone and muscle structure.

• Jacqueline

March 17, 2019 at 6:50 am

Ed, I think the word I am looking for is ” misconceptions.”

Quoting: ” As nouns the difference between misconception and myth is that misconception is a mistaken belief, a wrong idea while myth is a traditional story which embodies a belief regarding some fact.”

• Jacqueline

March 17, 2019 at 1:23 pm

Ed, re: exercise,  scootering over to the gym. Is your scooter being given a workout too?  are you taking it to the gym, or is it taking you? our mobility scooters also need to keep in shape if they have to look after us, ha ha, they also have to bare our weight.