This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ed Tobias 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
     Ed Tobias 
    Keymaster

There is a Facebook group called The MS Gym that provides written and video instructions for exercising and stretching. Some of this is provided free but individualized instruction can also be obtained via a membership fee.

Have you had experience with The MS Gym? If so, I’d like to hear about it.

Mary W 
    Participant

Hi Ed,

I joined a couple of weeks ago and am impressed with the programmes offered. There are a range available which you can progress through at your own pace. I like the fact that I can do it in my own home – I can use the time and energy (and expense) saved by not attending physio in person on the exercises and the membership fee.

Alongside the main programmes, there are additional programmes specifically aimed at individual problems such as foot drop, weak hip flexors etc. Trevor who teaches the sessions is very knowledgeable and precise with his instructions. He adapts each exercise wheelchair/wheely walker users as well as for those who can stand. He is encouraging without being patronising and funny. Most sessions are around 20-30 mins which I find manageable to fit in with work and family.

He demonstrates many of the exercises sitting in a wheely walker himself. It is too early for me to say if I have benefitted, but there are numerous accounts from members posting improvements they have made.

They are looking at offering a 15 day trial of their BGB Bootcamp for $1 depending on interest- worth taking a punt on.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheMSGym/

Hope this helps

Ed Tobias 
      Keymaster

Thanks for all of the detail, Mary. It’s very useful. I’ll be interested to learn how you feel after you’ve been doing the exercise for several more weeks.

Ed

Mary W 
    Participant

Hi Ed,

I have a lot of spasm in my lower back and legs, so have been concentrating on these. A lot of the work is around releasing and stretching muscles that are affected by spasm. I haven’t been doing any such targetted exercises before, and can say that I have found them really helpful. After my session this morning, my back feels ‘normal’ rather than the usual sensation of having a metal rod preventing it from bending. I haven’t felt like this since 2007. My MS gives rise to so many little pains and discomfort-to shed one, even if temporarily is a real plus.

I’m sure that if I exercised regularly (not MS Gym) it would help, but the exercises are so precise and specific for the problem, it seems a much more efficient use of my limited time.

The grip in my right hand is affected by my MS and I have purchased a hand held massager ( Renpho) as suggested by Trevor. to help massage my muscles.Why did it never occur to me before? I had no idea how many tender areas I have on my body. I am trying out the gym for one month and to be honest just that suggestion has made it worthwhile.

Trevor does lots of emails and motivational sessions which I personally don’t have enough spare time to listen to.

I am naturally sceptical by nature, but so far so good.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account