Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and MS Exposure to DMTs Does Not Increase Risk of Severe COVID-19 in MS Patients, Study

• Exposure to DMTs Does Not Increase Risk of Severe COVID-19 in MS Patients, Study

Posted by John Connor on July 8, 2020 at 1:44 pm

Our news section reports on this French study that indicates those of us with reduced immune systems from DMT’s does not increase the risk of severe Covid-19.

Covid can be fatal because it causes a cytokine storm. A severe overreaction of the immune system. There’s an hypothesis out there [hey, even thought of it meself!] that our very suppressed immune systems might actually stop this from happening.

Mine though is so low that I’ve been taken off my current DMT. I’ve been strongly advised by all at the hospital that deals with my MS to continue sheltering!

So if you’re on a DMT are you out and about [social distance/wear a mask] now? Has this news helped to make up your mind?

ed-tobias replied 3 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • ed-tobias

July 10, 2020 at 2:36 pm

There still seems to be a concern about the DMTs that suppress CD-20 B-cells.

The most recent recommendations from the MS International Federation include this:

Therapies that target CD20 – ocrelizumab and rituximab – may be linked to an increased chance of being admitted to hospital or requiring intensive care treatment due to COVID-19. This preliminary finding requires further investigation.

Ed