Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Malea
      Participant

Hi everyone, I have had Foot Drop for about 2 years now and due to it, all of my shoes have a hole on the dragging side. Can you recommend something I can do or shoes that will not wear out so easily? Thank you so much!

John Connor
      Keymaster

Hi Malea,
      Yes I had that. Indeed, reckon most MS’rs do. Wrote a column about dealing with it: https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/2017/03/24/ms-patient-finds-himself-relating-to-historical-account-of-electricity-aided-walking/
      Got a bit flowery writing about Mary Shelley & a famous WW2 British Pilot, but if u can wade thru that the basic info is valid.
      The electric stimulation gave me another year [or so] of walking. Also reduced the foot drop tripping hazard!
      It’s fiddly to get used to but worth the perseverance.
      Cheers John

Ed Tobias
      Keymaster

Hi Malea,

Welcome to the group. Have you considered trying to improve your foot drop rather than replacing your shoes? An AFO (ankle foot orthotsis) is a brace that can help. There are also FES units (functional electronic stimulator) that can be prescribed, but they’re much more expensive. (John has told you about this).

I’ve worn out a lot of shoes over the years and you get what you pay for. Mephisto shoes are what I use, even though I use an FES. They’re expensive but they provide good support and they have a program that allows you to send them back to the factor to refurbish them, at a reasonable cost, when you wear them out.

Ed

Malea
        Participant

Hi Ed! I was in physical therapy for about 3 weeks before the quarantine started and even though they have reopened, they have decided that they will only take patients in worse conditions. I’ve been trying to still do the exercises I did learn but I just needed a shoe option for now because of tired of buying new ones lol.

Ed Tobias
      Keymaster

OK, Malea. Please keep us posted on what you find. I know a lot of people with MS use Sketchers, because they’re light, provide reasonable support and are inexpensive. For me, their support isn’t good enough. Good luck.

Ed

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account