Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Treating MS MS Medications Have you been waiting for a generic Ampyra?

Tagged: 

• Have you been waiting for a generic Ampyra?

Posted by ed-tobias on September 19, 2018 at 9:47 am

Ampyra has improved the walking of some people with MS, including me. And, like many DMTs, it’s co-pay can be expensive.

A court ruling in early September, however, seems to have finally cleared the way for a generic of Ampyra. I wrote about this in my MS Wire column yesterday.

Have you used Ampyra? Would you like to use it but have found the co-pay was too high?

ed-tobias replied 5 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • CLBAUER

November 19, 2018 at 5:56 pm

Great News! My last refill for Ampyra was filled with a generic Dalfampridine from Accord Healthcare Pharmaceuticals.

Humana just automatically filled the refill with generic. My copay of $9.37, yes under $10,  relates to a retail price under $200 dollars for 30 day supply. I am a medicare Plan D patient. Ampyra retail had been $2700 for 30 day supply. What a surprise. Mylan announced it will release generic but this one is already here.

This information needs broad dissemination to the MS Community.

Ampyra makes a significant difference to my walking and balance. It is now financially in reach for everyone.

If you already take Ampyra ask your pharmacy to switch to generic . If cost has been prohibitive in the  past talk with your MD to consider.

• ed-tobias

November 19, 2018 at 6:32 pm

Thanks for that great info, CL. That’s fabulous news. I sure hope my Part D pharmacy has switched to the generic. I’d love to resume using it. I’m going onto their website right now to check.

Ed