Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS How do you feel about the phrase "battling your MS?"

• Jacqueline

February 20, 2019 at 8:38 am

I see your point ED and I totally agree with you, as ” battling or battle ” means to fight to win, and we all know we cant win with MS, yes we can fight it but we will never win, nothing is ever going to make it go away, it cant be beaten, but it can be managed, and they are two different words with two different meanings. Oh I wouldn’t class MS as a constant companion as a companion is someone we welcome as a friend, and MS is certainly not one of them. Go on use a stronger word, I wont cringe, and I do you a stronger word, and I am sure if your editors had MS they wouldn’t cringe either.

Jackie

• ed-tobias

February 20, 2019 at 8:38 am

Thanks for the comment, Jackie.

By the way most, perhaps all, of the editors at the Multiple Sclerosis News Today website, and the other BioNews Services websites, have a chronic disease of one sort of another. That’s what makes these websites so unique.

Ed

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 23, 2019 at 6:10 pm

It is a battle, I battle mentally and physically most days about this life changing illness with NO CURE.   I wanted to start a post on these things.  But no-one asks me how’s my battle going, infact no-one asks me anything, so I tell them.   But I can guarantee they all think, “glad I don’t have that”.

My biggest battle is in my mind, the other battle is not being able to walk.  I am finding it very hard to accept my disability, because it really sucks.  Life looks better from space.

• Jacqueline

February 24, 2019 at 9:05 am

Apologies, this IS Ed’s post on the subject of ” battle ”

Ed, I am saddened to read that most editors are also dealing with their own chronic diseases. So they have some insight into what our daily life entails, a daily struggle to face another day in our now dysfunctional body that rules us, we dont nor cant rule it, well that is my description of our MS.

• Jacqueline

February 24, 2019 at 9:06 am

I always have said, no one gets MS until they get MS, if you understand what I am meaning. In other words it doesn’t matter how many times you try describing it, the symptoms, what is going on with the inside of your body, how you body is feeling – reacting just makes no difference, no one will really get the full picture, they have to have it to really understand what its all about. MS is really ones worst nightmare come true.

Jilly, I notice you use the word ” battle ” Ed has posted on the use of that word, and I too agree with him, it is a mislead word, we are not fighting a ” battle ” a battle can be fought and won, our MS cant be fought and won, think about it.

Jackie