This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Irina 6 months ago.

• Author
     MS News Today Moderator 
    Participant

Yoga is not a cure for MS but it has the potential to reduce some of the physical symptoms of the disease. It can improve patients strength, flexibility, posture, balance, focus, circulation, and digestion.

MS yoga practitioners generally also find a decrease in tension, fatigue, spasticity, and some of the aches and pains associated with the disease.

Find out more about “MS and Yoga: How the Ancient Discipline Can Help MS Patients” here.

Have you ever tried yoga to ease your MS symptoms?

Jacqueline 
    Participant

Tried it once at an MS Therapy Centre, ( previous address…) To be honest one session and I decided not to go again,, as it was tough when I was remembering the days that I once done Yoga, Pilates and oh how I loved my Tai-Chi Chuan school, that was my favourite but, I would never be able to balance or hold myself  as ” graceful “again, nor the effortless slow movements…

Jackie..

Debi Wilson 

Jackie,
    I know it is hard to remember how things were, compared to how they are now.
    So many things we have to adapt to, but it is that adapting that helps us be able to continue with what we love to do.
    Were you able to do chair yoga at the class you attended?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Debi Wilson.
     Debi Wilson 

It sounds like you had an active life pre MS Jackie, what did you do for a living ?

Jacqueline 
    Participant

Debi I done various jobs throughout my working life, I was active, very active, I never passed my driving test, nor got my car until 41-42 so up until then I walked everywhere…I also done a lot of office cleaning, part time – evening work, early morning work, not a necessary but an extra after my full days employment which ranged from office based admin to cashiering…Cashiering I was rarely in one place at one time, I was sometimes a relief cashier moving from shop to shop, in the bookmaking-betting world industry…even working at Lords Cricket ground during the Test Match…Yes I look back and see, ” that I once had a life…” a non stop, always on the go life, with not a care in the world apart from making sure I caught the bus-train, underground into London in time…I often would flit from day job to evening job coming home on that last train at the end of the day…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Jacqueline.
     Debi Wilson 

Thanks for sharing, Jackie!

Irina 
    Participant

My yoga instructor also has MS.  She is in great physical shape.  Yoga, even though irregular due to scheduling issues, is key for me.  I take private sessions, so she can address my personal problems.  The key is to find and develop new paths for the nerves. I am also doing Pilates, which is helping tremendously, particularly with stairs.  I did tai chi for a couple of years, this proved absolutely useless as my MS started progressing.

Debi Wilson 

Thank-you for sharing that information,  Irina. Can you share some of the lower impact poses? Plus, it sounds very interesting to reroute nerves. It inspires me to take yoga!

Jacqueline 
    Participant

Irina…..if I could find someone who gives Yoga and Pilates lessons who also has MS, I would be one of the first members to join the class, as I then know that this person knows what MS is all about…I would find that person an inspiration, and that would be a help to me…not an able bodied person who believes they know how we can do their Yoga and Pilates, they dont know, how can they? if they dont experience for themselves what we experience…

My MS is Primary Progressive, diagnosed at age 64, I am now coming up to 68 in March…

Jackie..

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  Jacqueline.
     Jacqueline 
    Participant

Irina…

…meant to have added, I live in UK…where are you? I will try a search to see if there are any MS Yoga-Pilates instructors in UK, and more importantly, near to where I live but, somehow I very much doubt if there are any…

Oh yes, Tai-Chi is meant to be done gracefully, at one time I could, and I did, good balance and slow graceful movements, from one flowing movement to the other…No for me, it is best to remember it as it once was, not try to replicate it now, it would just be a sham…

Jacqueline 
    Participant

My Tai Chi Chuan was taught by Joop Brouwer from Amsterdam, whilst in St Albans UK…these were some of the best days of my life, and way before my MS…..

Irina 
    Participant

Debi, I wouldn’t try to spell the yoga positions’ names even if I knew them. If you like, I can ask my instructor.  However, finding new nerve paths is not necessarily a function of yoga alone.  My Pilates instructor who works with RA patients as well as paralyzed people does the same thing.  As does my acupuncturist.

Jacqueline, I am in the US.  I think I saw in your other posts that you live in London.  If this is the case, I am almost certain you have various exercise options tailored specifically for MS.  My Pilates instructor attended an MS workshop after I started seeing him.  He still doesn’t advertise it on his site.  It’s hard to find these providers.  What I have done before was call and/or email them and ask if they have in the past or do currently have MS patients.  You’ll be surprised, there are a lot of us.

And how well we did in sports has absolutely no bearing on what we can do today!

Irina

Debi Wilson 

That’s ok Irina, I don’t want you to go to any trouble. I will research online, just learning about yoga and nerves is fascinating. Thank-you for that!

Irina 
    Participant

Debi, there is a DVD by Baron Baptiste “Yoga for MS.” This might be helpful.  If you have any questions, I can relay then to my yoga instructor.  She is wonderful, and I don’t mind.  But be very careful – it’s easy to injure yourself doing yoga incorrectly.  My instructor has done it many times.

Good luck, and keep me posted.

Irina

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account