Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Kessler researchers investigate social cognition, mood and fatigue in multiple s

• Kessler researchers investigate social cognition, mood and fatigue in multiple s

Posted by John Connor on September 2, 2019 at 7:38 am

The Kessler Foundation ‘conducts groundbreaking rehabilitation and disability employment research and fund innovative initiatives to provide access to job opportunities’.

A new study of theirs: tested 28 individuals with multiple sclerosis for impairments of social cognition using tests of facial affect recognition and Theory of Mind, and looked for associations between deficits of social cognition with common conditions in this population by screening for fatigue, depression and anxiety. They also measured non-social cognitive ability, i.e., attention and processing speed, using the Symbol Digit Modality Test.

Preliminary findings showed consistent associations between poorer performance on measures of social cognition and increased symptoms of depression, anxiety, and fatigue, most notably psychosocial fatigue. Cognitive ability was not a factor in these associations.

So it might not hurt our smartness but I think means we can’t read a room as well.

Except when I’m working I’ve always found this difficult. Maybe I’ve had MS for longer than I thought?

Ring any bells MS’rs?

John Connor replied 4 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.