Tagged: 

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Debi Wilson

I have two cats and a dog. Bebe is a black and white long hair,  Zoe is a gray short hair and our dog Chloe is a black and white boarder collie.

It’s hard to get down about MS when I have these pets to brighten my day!

I would love to hear what kind of pets you have and how they lift your spirits!

Jonathan White
      Participant

ok so I have two cats that generally ignore me, my wife feeds than and it also may have something to do with me standing on one of the cats tails some years back – it was an accident. Build a bridge and get over it!!

Recently due to 18 months of pressure from my 11 year old daughter we bought a dog, well a shih Tzu puppy. I was worried that my lack of balance and mobility would be a hindrance..and all the care would fall to my wife. Well generally the care does fall to my wife, but I am chief play master and that I can do, kneeling or lying on the floor, admittedly my hand does now look like I self harm, but a small price to pay for the absolute love and affection that is returned by the dog.  Every morning she is now placed on my bed (too small to get up on her own) and she licks me continually to wake up… a delight to be woken like that.. taking her for a walk may be an issue but I am working on that, getting her used to my mobility scooter.

We have only had her for four months but its hard to think of life without her there are issues but to be honest not half as bad as I thought.

Jacqueline
      Participant

I am and have always been a dog person, dogs are-were my life…Sadly all three have now departed, our last furbaby we-I  lost 17 months ago…We have one Cocker Spaniel left, he is now a senior dog but belongs more to, and is closer to the man  I  share my home with…so yes I feel totally lost and empty now my baby’s are gone…yest blessed that I could walk them at the time before MS took hold of me, well all apart from our most recent loss…

Jackie..

Debi Wilson

We had a shih Tzi at one time Jonathan, they are very friendly & loving dogs!

Laura McCartney
      Participant

I have 3 dogs, Cocoa, Reno and Pudgey, actually Pudgey is my granddog. Our pets know when something is wrong and cuddle up with you and follow you around. They have a way of saying, it’ll be ok. I love all 3 dogs but Cocoa is mine and sleeps with us. The other two have their own bedroom.

Debi Wilson

I’m sorry about the loss of your pets Jackie! I know they’re like part of the family!

Debi Wilson

They sound so cute, Laura!

Debi Wilson

[email protected] Jonathan! They do ignore and hold grudges!

Ed Tobias
      Keymaster
      Jacqueline
      Participant

Ed…ha ha, I get it now…and oh how it is good they dont know their age…

In hindsight 18 months or so before my starting’s of ” something strange happening to my walking, ” but I couldn’t make sense of what it was ” and still during the time I was still walking my Blue Roan Cocker Spaniel  who was just coming up to age 10, she too was suffering cancer, with a 3 months to live we were told September, come the Christmas 2013 we lost her….She was having walking problems, kept getting disorientated with where she was going, and I had to guide-coax her home, we never walked far just around the block…Well little did I know that 18 months after her loss, I too would be having  my own walking problems…As they say, ” we never know what is waiting for us round that next corner ” I know I didn’t have a clue…but here it is, and it is here to stay..

Jackie..

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Jacqueline.
      • This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Jacqueline.
      Brian Gee
      Participant

I have always had dogs in my life.  I remember one dog, a Beagle Doberman mix, who had an intelligence and understanding not typically associated with dogs.

We would wrap treats for the dogs on Christmas.  We had an elderly miniature Poodle, and she was having problems ooening her gift.  The other dog went over, opened her gift and left her treats for her!

Now we are bossed by three cats.  Actually, they keep track of us, know when we are not feeling good.  They will do theit best to make us feel better.

Debi Wilson

Great [email protected]

I’m sorry, @jacqueline about your cocker spaniel! It sounds like you gave your dog a good life, 10 years is a good lifespan for a dog!

Debi Wilson

That is so funny about your bossy cats Brian, and what an amazing beagle you had!

Years ago I had two cats, but I wasn’t able to stroke them bec I discovered I had an asmatic reaction to them. A few months ago, my oldest son adopted a dog, Lucky. I am not much of a fan of dogs, but I do pat him from time to time on his insistance, and I have to admit, it definitely relaxes/calms me. I see why people get them as service animals.

Garnet
      Participant

I love, love my pets and feel that they truly help keep me on the positive side of things.  I have a parrot, a mini lop bunny, a yorkie, two great pyrenees, and sheep. My kids are little so they don’t help a whole lot yet, but my DH does the regular feeding when he is home half the week due to work.

I wonder sometimes if something is going to happen with the MS that would stop me from caring for all of them.  But for now MS doesn’t stop me and I refuse to be scared of the what ifs. My pets give me more joy and more peace then I can even explain.

Debi Wilson

True Garnet, animals can bring a lot of relaxation and happiness!
        I have always been more of a cat person. But, I have always had a special place for dogs too! I had a St. Bernard when I was in high school , Big and slobbery!:) But, I loved him!

Debi Wilson

I agree Garnet, we can only live for today! Your animals sound like an amazing menagerie!:)

Anna
      Participant

Hi all, I am waiting for my new dog friend   next Sunday.  He is till then at the rescue center. Can ‘ t wait…

Debi Wilson

That is awesome,Anna! Rescue animals are the best, good for you!:)

Rob Wanless
      Participant

Debi,

Thank you for starting this Forum–for me, Charley, our little dog, takes me for about a mile walk every day. It helps to have company–so, I like my dog. We might get a cat soon, so, you know, we can have an animal ignore us (heh heh, I like cats for some reason that I can’t figure out).

Rob

Debi Wilson

YW Rob, lol at Charley taking you for a walk!
      Cats are interesting and definitely do ignore! I like them also.

Dee Bohan
      Participant

When I could no longer work due to MS I began fostering rescue cats/kittens – not intentionally, I just sort of grew into it after my daughter found some kittens that we trapped with their mama and cared for until they were rehomed.   I found it gave me something to focus on other than myself and it meant I had to at least get out of bed and tend to them, even if I did nothing else.  With my own cats and dogs and the rescue foster babies I have had – I have touched the lives of many neglected, unwanted and frightened kittens and shown them warmth and love and kindness, perhaps for the first time.   They repaid me with purrs and snuggles and made me laugh at their antics.   There were a few scratches – and lots of litter trays and also a few tears when they were too unwell to make it.     They have all helped me to keep moving forward and I wouldn’t be without them.

Jacqueline
      Participant

So many animal – pet lovers on here, it warms my heart… as with cats and, or dogs, what one gets from them is genuine… nothing false, but genuine affection and love…one cant ask nor expect from them, anything more…

Sammy Ebeling
      Participant

Sammy, my 84# yellow lab, is my best friend, helper dog & all around joy!  She’s not trained as a Service Dog, bc when she was a puppy (10 years ago) I couldn’t attend classes (MS issues) but she’s MY service/loving/helper dog.  I have taught her many things and she has just picked up from (unknown to me) cues of mine (?) over the years, that she’s been most helpful in helping me not to fall (aka: hugging the floor) when I’ve lost my balance or picking something up for me every time, when I’ve dropped it 3-6x.  She’s my ‘baby’~a part of my FAMILY!

McD NYC
      Participant

I was pet-less until I found a girlfriend. And then she became a fiancé and moved in. With her came her cat: “Lenny”.  Her adopted, shorthaired American house cat. The problem was that I’ve been allergic to cats my entire life, and have had an aversion to them since being nearly assassinated by two Siamese cats when I was just ten years old.

Well, it’s been absolutely awesome.  He actually kind of thinks he’s a dog.  He meets you at the door when you come in, comes when you call his name, and is an incessant wagger of that lugubrious tail of his.  And since I work from home — and I’m here 80% of the time, while he’s here 99% of the time, Leonard and I not only have learned to co-exist but we’ve entered into a very rewarding limited partnership agreement.  As long as I make sure he gets fed in the morning and the evening, play with him a little during the day (with everything from bottle cap hockey pucks to the ridiculous rastafarian colored scarf toy he will chase forever as long as I continue to flick it at him), and let him jump on my lap at 4 PM everyday (without fail) we have become inseparable — and best friends.  With a cat no less!  He can be a distraction, an accomplice, a comfort, an anchor, and some days make a good day even better –  while he’s also able to make a bad day into one that is not quite as bad as I think it is.

Mom is still number one of course – even if he does make a habit of expressing our bromance by jumping up into my lap first when she and I come into the apartment together.  He just gives her that look that says, “Don’t worry my love – I’m just contractually obligated to do this… but I’ll be all yours shortly… I promise…).  And when she is home he’s smart enough to make sure attention is appropriately paid.  I mean come on, she is his mom after all

His mom and I haven’t set a date yet, though it will be a lovely, small, intimate affair – and it’s also definitely going to be the event to be at in 2018.  Though Lenny won’t be able to make it.  But the after-party?  He wouldn’t miss it for the world.  And I would definitely miss him too if he wasn’t part of my brave, new world as I navigate through the ups and downs of this disease.

Lenny kitchen

Lenny box

Lenny office

Lenny bed

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account