This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  J Howell 4 weeks ago.

• Author
     Ed Tobias 
    Keymaster

I first realized something was wrong when my hand, suddenly, wasn’t strong enough to squeeze the toothpaste tube. Then I realized that my legs became tired sooner than they should and I sometimes felt “spacy.”

What were your first symptoms?

Ed

J Howell 
    Participant

Hey there. I was just diagnosed about a month or so ago, but this exacerbation seems to have started in early July. The symptoms initially were some neuropathy-like numbness and tingling in my right hand.

Even though my brother was diagnosed with MS almost two decades ago, I wasn’t particularly fearful- I’ve had some issues related to repetitive-motion injury and car accidents that resulted in pinched nerves before, always easily solved by a few chiropractic visits and some stretching exercises. I had a horrible MS scare in 2009 that turned out to be nothing more than I lifted too heavy an item with bad form and threw my back out. I switched jobs about a year ago, and after being mostly on my feet all day for 17 years, I chalked these issues up to having become lax in my stretching routine and not keeping mindful of my posture and desk ergonomics.

After a couple of days, the tingling became worse and was accompanied by an uncontrollable itch across my right chest, shoulders, and then my face. It woke me often- I didn’t get a proper night’s sleep for weeks. I made a chiro appointment immediately. When that didn’t do much (it helped, but not enough, not like it had in the past) I tried adjustments and dry needling. That also had some small benefit, but was not as effective as it should have been. I went to urgent care, to rule out shingles. The practitioner prescribed some flexeril and naproxen, which helped a little. Maybe a month into treatments that were only minimally effective, my chiropractor referred me for MRIs, and it was apparent that I had some type of demyelinating disorder going on. I still wasn’t convinced it was MS- I knew that was certainly a possibility, but I also have been in a position to have been possibly infected with Lyme as well.

Between that first MRI and getting to a neurologist a few weeks later, the spasticity in my arm and legs became worse, my feet became largely numb, my gait changed noticeably, and the numbness in my hand was bad enough that it had almost completely kept me from playing an instrument at all- a very, very big problem for me. That was about a month, maybe six weeks ago. Since then baclofen, vitamin supplements, and OTCs for inflammation and antihistamines for itch have done a lot. CBD has helped immensely. Most of all, a round of Solumedrol infusions helped significantly. I was walking with a cane two weeks ago. Now my gait is a little wonky but barely noticeable to people who don’t know me. My hand is still not 100%, but I can play instruments again, though my fingerpicking on guitar is still pretty bad. Iim still within the halflife of the Solumedrol, though, and my first Fingolimod dose is next week. I feel pretty optimistic that meds and PT will do me a lot of good. Compared to the symptoms my brother had when he was first diagnosed, I feel like I’m getting off relatively easy.

Now that I know I have MS, it’s hard not to wonder how many little odd things may have been related to demyelination as long as 20+ years ago. Especially a particularly bad but brief, transient IBD-like illness in 2000. I suspect the lesions just finally became bad enough to be problematic recently, but who really knows?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account