Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Mobility Aids Driving with MS: Hand Controls for Cars

• Driving with MS: Hand Controls for Cars

Posted by cyndi-b on April 13, 2018 at 12:02 pm

This question is perhaps more appropriate for “Living with MS” forum and I have in fact posted it there as well… I want to make the conversion to hand controls for driving my car. Anyone with experience in this area?  Type? Brand? Accelerator rings? Any other thoughts and recommendations are welcomed.  Thanks

debi-wilson replied 5 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • sunbum78

April 20, 2018 at 12:14 am

I got in touch with the Multiple Sclerosis Society in your area and the were Very helpful with the whole thing. The even have assistance with the cost of everything. I had to get a evaluation done to see which equipment was best suited for my car. Then had to do like a driving school,test drive  with the hand controls .The had to get to DMV for handicap plates.  If you did well with drivers ed in high school you’ll go great. Good Luck

• cyndi-b

April 24, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Thanks Nancy — I will follow up as well with the MS society.

• debi-wilson

April 21, 2018 at 7:34 pm

Hi Cyndi B ,

I just wanted to share with you that one of our patient  columnists, Judy Lynn,  has written two columns on the subject.  “Look Ma no feet” a lesson in  mechanical hand controls.”  And  “Believe me your a natural” learning to drive with hand controls”  I hope these help !

• cyndi-b

April 24, 2018 at 4:32 pm

Excellent!  Thanks for the articles Debi.

• nancy-bergstrom

April 25, 2018 at 1:43 pm

I have used hand controls on two cars now, since around 2006.  The set-up is a spinner ball on the steering wheel to the right side, and the gas/brake handle to the left.  I had controls added to my SUV when I first trained and licensed.  I later purchased a slighter small car – Subaru Outback and had controls installed in that car.  The biggest issue for me in purchasing a new car was ease of getting in and out with the limited mobility of my right leg.  While it was rather costly to get training – at my own cost, the new car manufacturer offered a rebate for some of the hand controls.  I have been very pleased with how well they work.

I am not currently working but have driven daily with hand controls for several years to and from work about a 20 mile daily round trip in sluggish Seattle traffic.  I have also driven longer trips and find that the controls and I work just fine.  The nice thing about hand controls is that a regular driver can still use the foot pedals.  They just need to keep their hands off of the gas/brake lever.

• debi-wilson

April 25, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Welcome to the forums Nancy!

Thank-you for sharing, great advice! Debi

• cyndi-b

February 19, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Hello, this is a long overdue follow up to my initial question about conversion to hand controls on my car.  I’ll keep it simple…BEST mobility/independence decision ever made.  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my hand controls.  Went with the GT2 Lever mfg by Guidosimplex.  Easy as pie to learn/adapt.  Simple to use.  On/off switch allowing quick change out of drivers.   Should have done it 2 years ago.