10 Multiple Sclerosis’ Self-Managing Tips

10. Talk about your feelings and fears

shutterstock_332414240

Find someone you can talk to. A friend, a family member, your doctor or caregiver, someone you feel comfortable with. It’s important that you share your feelings and fears with someone. Don’t keep it to yourself or you can easily become overwhelmed by it all.

Learn more about how Shemar Moore supports his mother, who has multiple sclerosis, while also helping MS research.

Multiple Sclerosis News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.

1. Judy says:

Yes, fatigue is a problem. I deal with it by either taking a nap or daily have a strong cup of Japanese green tea, ideally organic. The tea really works for me! And the nap is good too.

2. Nancy Arnone says:

hi everybody…I was diagnoised with MS almost 30 yrs…..still somewhat moblie but have no balsnce,,,I also have foot foot very bad..I fall at least twice a week…have many problems but always working on them…would like to share them with others..thxs

• Chris kennedy says:

I have been dealing with MS for 33 years too. I am able to use a walker to keep from falling and able to walk short distances. I have just started really watching what I eat and taking biotin. I have considered going overseas to do HCST but my age and the expense seem to prevent that.

• Barbara says:

Hi Nancy
      I have had MS for about 25 years. Balance is a problem
      but if I can hold on to something it works.
      Do you watch your diet?
      I am taking a class on “free from falls” from the MS society
      and I have learned a lot.
      Barbara

3. JOSEPH Robert FERRONI says:

I was diagnosed with this little bastard in 2005. memory sucks, energy is gone, no one will buy it from me……… I wish we could just cure it.

• JoAnn says:

You’re symptoms sound like my husband’s and he feels the exact same way. I don’t know if he knows anyone else whose memory has been affected.

4. Jade says:

Diagnosed in 2008, at a humble 18 years of age… 🙁 this disease is unpredictable, it is ANNOYING as ALL DAMN HELL but it has NOT AND WILL NOT WIN!

5. M.S. says:

I was diagnosed with MS when I was 30 years old @ the peak of entering my career as a Senior Technical Editor. I was even asked if I wanted the job of Publications Department Manager. However, I knew something was not right as far as my health was concerned & turned the position down. Shorty after my diagnosis, I was let go of supposedly due to a reduction in force (RIF). However, I knew better. I was hired by another larger corporation & was there for five years when I had a major exacerbation. This attack affected the whole right side of my body. My cognitive skills were also impaired. As a result of the fatigue “factor”, I was only able to work 4 hours per day 3 days a week. Then my employer cut my hours down to a mere 4 hours per week trying to force me out. Of course, I would not leave as I needed my job. Thus, under the guise of a layoff, this corporation did indeed get rid of me. I have never worked since that time in February of 1993. I now live by myself & struggle w/ Major Depression as well as Anxiety Disorder. It’s been over 23 years since I’ve stopped working. I, too, have problems with my short-term memory. Your cognitive skills consist of your comprehension & concentration in addition to your memory. That’s why I no longer work due to my cognitive skills being so affected! Good luck to each & every one of you in dealing with this devasting disease. I wish you all love, luck & happiness always. ~M~ 🙂

6. Sue says:

Thank you for sharing. As i type using my non dominant hand.. Other doesn’t work, sit next to my rollator, wanting in my head to go work in yard, take bike ride, even fold clothes! I got dx when 35 and m 58 now. New adjustment to ailing body every day. Are you on any special diet or supplements? I looked at HSCT but am too old I guess and trasitioning to SPMS. Started LDN recently