11 Multiple Sclerosis Facts You Should Know About
Inspired by information available from the website You Don’t Know Jack About MS, here are 11 interesting and important facts about multiple sclerosis (MS).
1. MS can be unpredictable and people may experience the disease in different ways — with different symptoms and with different ranges of severity.
While MS patients experience symptoms that are physically and mentally debilitating, it is also common for patients to be faced with a lack of understanding or knowledge about the disease from others.
2. What causes MS is largely unknown, but researchers believe that a combination of factors including processes related to the immune system and genetics may be involved.
3. MS is currently not curable, but there are several treatments available that can help patients.
4. Usually, MS is only fatal in rare cases.
5. MS can occur at any age but most people are diagnosed between 20 and 50 years old.
6. About two-thirds of MS patients are able to walk.
7. It’s common for patients to experience significant and chronic pain with MS but there are ways to manage the pain.
“In one study, 55% of patients had “clinically significant pain” at some time, and almost half (48%) were troubled by chronic pain.”
8. Many MS patients continue working, even years after being diagnosed.
10. Not all MS symptoms are visible to the naked eye.
11. While MS patients experience symptoms that are physically and mentally debilitating, it is common for patients to continually be faced by others who lack understanding or knowledge about the disease.
Multiple Sclerosis News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.