9 Approved MS Therapies You Should Know About

Click here to receive MS news via e-mail
news_14_Artboard 343 copy 154

1. AMPYRA (dalfampridine)

news_14_Artboard 343 copy 155

Dalfampridine, marketed under the name Ampyra by Acorda Therapeutics in the United States (also referred to as Fampyra in Europe), is an FDA-approved drug that is used to improve walking in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS). Owing to its chemical properties and its role in the regulation of potassium channels on cell membranes, it is also used as a research tool in therapeutics dealing with several unmet medical conditions, as well as a convulsant to test for anti-seizure agents.

Learn more about Ampyra (dalfampridine) here: http://bit.ly/1ZMhoW6

Click here to receive MS news via e-mail

1. William Wezel says:

I have a rather aggressive form of progressive multiple sclerosis , are nay of the drugs suitable for that?

2. Michelle says:

The information on Tecfidera is inaccurate as it wiped out my immune system twice! Fortunately, I do not have the common JC virus or its antibodies in my system or I would be dead.

White blood cell counts should be monitored from day 1 of takingthis medication. It also causes stomach upset annd skin itching, as well as intense upper body skin flushing.

3. Max says:

Aubagio was easy to take, but offered me no relief of benefit whatsoever after 6 months. It was also free for a year which was awesome. I’m now on Tysabri which costs me a boatload. I’ve heard a lot of positive reviews about Tysabri, but I’ve yet to see any benefits yet after 3 months. I’m very excited about the release of Ocrelizumab. My JCV index is high, so it’s important to me to get off Tysabri soon.

• Max says:

A few follow-ups:

My RRMS is quite severe. I got diagnosed a year ago and my MRIs look like I was shot with a shotgun.

I’ve had zero side effects from either Aubagio or Tysabri.

My (second) doctor said that Aubagio “casts a small net” meaning that his opinion was that its effectiveness was more minimal and I needed a stronger, more effective drug like Tysabri. I’ve heard so many good things about Tysabri. I’m just deteriorating while I hope for some results soon.

4. Suzanne Branch says:

I’ ve been taking Tysabri with no side effects for years. Oh yeah, when I started, I was working full time, no cane. Now I need a powerchair and can’t put my shoes and socks on.
    The doctors say it is the strongest medicine and that I’m doing so well.(blood test are all fine). I would try anything that would reverse the damage! Slowing ms down doesn’t mean much to me because no one knows how fast it would be going without meds.

5. Kelly Malucha, RN, MSCN says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the last time I looked, Ampyra was not an approved therapy for treating MS. It is a symptom management medication. Your article is misleading to patients who could believe that if they are on Ampyra they don’t need to be on a DMT. They are NOT one in the same and Ampyra should not be included on the list of disease modifiers.

6. Jakelin says:

If there is any medication for Primary Progressive. Please let me know. According to what I know there is no medications to treat Primary Progressive. and MS doesn’t stopped.