10 Multiple Sclerosis’ Self-Managing Tips

According to the Mayo Clinic, there are a few tips available to help you self-manage your multiple sclerosis. Here are some lifestyle, home remedies, coping and support tips so you can feel better in your daily life.

1. Get plenty of good restshutterstock_225635005

Everybody functions better after a good night sleep. Getting some good rest is even more important to someone who suffers from multiple sclerosis. So to improve your lifestyle, try sleeping at least 8 hours a night.

According to a study, fatigue – the most commonly reported symptom in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) – is associated with disease comorbidities such as depression, irritable bowel syndrome, migraine, and anxiety.

1. Judy says:

Yes, fatigue is a problem. I deal with it by either taking a nap or daily have a strong cup of Japanese green tea, ideally organic. The tea really works for me! And the nap is good too.

2. Nancy Arnone says:

hi everybody…I was diagnoised with MS almost 30 yrs…..still somewhat moblie but have no balsnce,,,I also have foot foot very bad..I fall at least twice a week…have many problems but always working on them…would like to share them with others..thxs

• Chris kennedy says:

I have been dealing with MS for 33 years too. I am able to use a walker to keep from falling and able to walk short distances. I have just started really watching what I eat and taking biotin. I have considered going overseas to do HCST but my age and the expense seem to prevent that.

• Barbara says:

Hi Nancy
      I have had MS for about 25 years. Balance is a problem
      but if I can hold on to something it works.
      Do you watch your diet?
      I am taking a class on “free from falls” from the MS society
      and I have learned a lot.
      Barbara

3. JOSEPH Robert FERRONI says:

I was diagnosed with this little bastard in 2005. memory sucks, energy is gone, no one will buy it from me……… I wish we could just cure it.

• JoAnn says:

You’re symptoms sound like my husband’s and he feels the exact same way. I don’t know if he knows anyone else whose memory has been affected.

4. Jade says:

Diagnosed in 2008, at a humble 18 years of age… 🙁 this disease is unpredictable, it is ANNOYING as ALL DAMN HELL but it has NOT AND WILL NOT WIN!

5. M.S. says:

I was diagnosed with MS when I was 30 years old @ the peak of entering my career as a Senior Technical Editor. I was even asked if I wanted the job of Publications Department Manager. However, I knew something was not right as far as my health was concerned & turned the position down. Shorty after my diagnosis, I was let go of supposedly due to a reduction in force (RIF). However, I knew better. I was hired by another larger corporation & was there for five years when I had a major exacerbation. This attack affected the whole right side of my body. My cognitive skills were also impaired. As a result of the fatigue “factor”, I was only able to work 4 hours per day 3 days a week. Then my employer cut my hours down to a mere 4 hours per week trying to force me out. Of course, I would not leave as I needed my job. Thus, under the guise of a layoff, this corporation did indeed get rid of me. I have never worked since that time in February of 1993. I now live by myself & struggle w/ Major Depression as well as Anxiety Disorder. It’s been over 23 years since I’ve stopped working. I, too, have problems with my short-term memory. Your cognitive skills consist of your comprehension & concentration in addition to your memory. That’s why I no longer work due to my cognitive skills being so affected! Good luck to each & every one of you in dealing with this devasting disease. I wish you all love, luck & happiness always. ~M~ 🙂

6. Sue says:

Thank you for sharing. As i type using my non dominant hand.. Other doesn’t work, sit next to my rollator, wanting in my head to go work in yard, take bike ride, even fold clothes! I got dx when 35 and m 58 now. New adjustment to ailing body every day. Are you on any special diet or supplements? I looked at HSCT but am too old I guess and trasitioning to SPMS. Started LDN recently