Risky Stem Cell Transplant Halts MS for Years

Click here to receive MS news via e-mail

Autologous haematopoietic stem cell transplantation has been used to stop autoimmune processes in MS, although the treatment is not effective for every person.

Want to learn more about stem cell transplants? Here’s a list of nine articles about the subject you should take a look at.

Fortunately, research is always evolving and there is now an improved version of the technique which is showing extremely good results, with patients free of both the need for treatment and the risk of relapses for years on end — but the risk associated with the procedure is substantial.

What are the risks for MS patients and how does this treatment work? The current stem cell transplantation process for these patients  involves stem cells being collected from their own bone marrow before the patients are exposed to chemotherapy. This treatment suppresses the immune system, so that when the stem cells are injected back into a person, the immune system is reset to no longer attack the body.

But is this treatment option worth the risks for MS patients? Read more about this study, this treatment and the risks around it, here.

Multiple Sclerosis News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.

Tagged , , .

Marta graduated from Universidade Fernando Pessoa in Porto with a degree in Communication Sciences and a Masters degree in New Communication Technologies. She has experience in social media, worked with several media channels, and has also worked as a freelance photographer and a graphic artist for almost 10 years.
Click here to receive MS news via e-mail

1. Ally Grant says:

I get really tired of HSCT being labelled “risky” 🙄 Don’t people know how many of these same procedures are performed every week ? Are you aware that the conditioning regimes and protocols for this treatment have come a long way and are nowhere near as harsh as what they were many moons ago . This treatment gave me my life back and it really saddens me to see HSCT labelled with terms such as “risky” and “radical” constantly 😞

• Jan-Michael Wildeman says:

Thank you Ally! I have Primary Progressive MS diagnosed April 1, 2000 at age 49. I believe all treatments have an element of risk and I too dislike the perception given by the articles that Stem Cell harvest/re-boot by re-injection or however one describes the procedure is “risky”! Saying risky implies too much risk. It does not balance the possible, likely reward of a renewed lifestyle. Also, as one who wants to see a cure for new generations like my Grandchildren, I believe the articles are putting a negative on what should be a most positive! Thank you for your good comment.

2. erik n. oxy says:

What about the other type of stem cell treatments , like stemgenex or in Manhattan Regenerative Medicine. Where there is no chemo. , I talked to both company’s. The on in California a 90 % success where the one in Kansas claims a 85 % success with M.S.
    This would seem much less risky and more comfortable, at this point

• Antonio says:

Stemgenex and all other stem cell treatments promise a lot, but are a definite waste of money for MS.
      Please understand that whoever thinks of it, that Stemgenex and similar treatments do not do anything to stop the underlying disease. Your MS just continues, because stem cells can’t stop your disease.

3. erik n. oxy says:

Hey if it works for you , that’s all more for it, what kind of success in Europe of Australia has the treatment had ?

• Eric Woodard says:

Who is this treatment not good for in the article it says it works for most people do they have any idea who it doesn’t work for what stage of ms.

4. Kathryn says:

I wish it was available even if there are risks. Some of us are desperate. They have no problem pushing drugs that have terrible risks

• Jan-Michael Wildeman says:

I agree Kathryn…I too am willing to take risks if there is a chance I might have a better quality of life again. I do get some things done and pace myself but I do not wish my family to see me losing too much more. I will sign a waiver to doctors and Governments and try. I do not need any guarantee just the hope that comes with risks. I know my MS might resume but I was 49 before it really got into losing vision and loss of unaided mobility. I have little to lose BUT might I help myself and others as a guinea pig for a treatment? You betcha I would take the risk.

• Dee Czeszel says:

What kind of vision loss? My husband had double vision and we checked on refractive glasses and ended up with surgery that fixed it!

• Jan-Michael Wildeman says:

I had optic neuritis several times as can happen with MS. The nerves deteriorated so even when the lens’ were replaced after cataracts, the 20/20 artificial lens implants do not give the proper clarity. I have Corning Wear Glasses with a tint that removes the blue spectrum of light so I get better definition. The Canadian Gov’t covers the cost under our universal medicare program as the glasses are expensive. I could not read for past 16 years since MS first major attack. At least now from new lens in the eyes and Corning Glasses I can read. The brain is marvellous as one eye does the reading and the other eye focuses distance. I am glad your husband was able yo get surgery to correct double vision. We get through whatever we are going through.

• Jan-Michael Wildeman says:

I had Optic Neuritis a number of times that damaged the nerves. I did have new lens’ implants after cataracts but as optic nerves are compromised I still need glasses to get to see reasonably. I have Corning Glasses that are tinted to remove “blue spectrum of light”. Now I get better definition. One eye now reads (great as I could not read since a major MS attack 16 years ago}. The other eye gives reasonable distance to see computer or TV. So I am good now. Glad your husband was able to get double vision corrected. We all “get through what we are going through”/ J-M

5. Louise says:

This treatment is not radical. It is risky as is having your tonsils out, getting your appendix out or having wisdom teeth removed. Every medical procedure has a risk. HSCT has been conducted successfully for 30+ years for people with cancer. I don’t understand why the same treatment for MS is risky? Is there no risk for cancer patients? Of course there is but Drs are happy for HSCT for them but neurologists are not happy for this treatment for MS patients. HSCT is not effective in MS patients – Really – no treatment is guaranteed effective for any patient. HSCT has evidence to halt MS – why is this treatment not an option? Why do people have to travel overseas for this treatment? I had HSCT in Moscow in 2014 and I am so grateful I took the initiative to look after my health and quality of life. I was on daily injections that had no impact on my MS as I was SPMS. My EDSS has gone from 6 to 4.5. I am living my life. It saddens me that this treatment is evidenced by highly specialised senior Drs to work for MS. Why is it not offered in every country – so much money is raised for MS – why are these funds not spent on halting this horrible disease?

• Courtney says:

There are way to do it they just cost an astronomical amount of money to enter into a trial. Anywhere from 25 to 45 thousand dollars.

6. Marie L. Sacco says:

Dearest Ally,
    Would you please send the name/address of the clinic, name of your doctor/s, where you received this treatment, etc.! I will use your name as my referral to their clinic. I am fighting this insidious disease alone. I am definitely trying this treatment!!! Thanks for caring about your fellow MS partners for getting this message out into the MS community. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter!!
    Marie L. Sacco