Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Do you have advice for someone having their first MS neurologist appointment?

• Do you have advice for someone having their first MS neurologist appointment?

Posted by Debi Wilson on December 2, 2018 at 11:25 am

What advice would you give someone who is having their first MS  neurologist appointment ?  What questions should they ask? Should they get a second opinion on diagnosis and treatment ?

Debi Wilson replied 5 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 9, 2018 at 4:18 pm

My first appointment was 2012, after the MRI, so I had no clue what to expect. Infact I wasn’t concerned at all, but I was thinking, “Why am I here”. (I always had it in my mind I would get either cancer or a heart attack, that’s what runs in my family) Not MS.

Always take a friend or family member with you, you may not remember all that is said.

The neurologist showed me the MRI pictures and pointed out white spots in my brain and in my spine. And tells me I have MS. I said, “What is that and can I fix it?”. He told me I have PPMS and it can’t be fixed and to look at it as my glass half full. Unfortunatly my glass was nearly empty from going through a natural disaster in 2011 (earthquakes).

So I go home and ponder this.

Being told my dis-ease cannot be fixed was very confronting for me, as we live in the 21st century, so, I was perplexed by that and still am to this day. Two years later I need to use a walker to get around, my left leg has gone rouge on me.

I didn’t get a second opinion. To be honest there isn’t much else to say, without moaning lol. Except, good luck and always remember the good times. Take nothing for granted. Even your legs.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 9, 2018 at 4:30 pm

Oh, and I forgot to mention. On the public health system it took one and a half years to get my diagnosis, long time.

And you will need a spinal tap test to. Ask for a chill pill for that. The next day your back hurts.

• Debi Wilson

December 11, 2018 at 10:22 am

Good advice Jilly!  Thank-you for taking the time to share that !