Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Do you feel what you eat can impact your MS symptoms?

• Do you feel what you eat can impact your MS symptoms?

Posted by Debi Wilson on March 15, 2019 at 11:36 am

Do you feel your MS symptoms are affected by what you eat? Do your symptoms seem worse if you eat sugar, gluten or something else?

Debi Wilson replied 5 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Jacqueline

March 15, 2019 at 11:47 am

Oh yes definitely but I cant put my finger on any special foods that trigger it off. One of my main troubles is my lower stomach, like most I have the usual MS stomach bloat but drinking fluids and foodstuffs affect my stomach and MS terribly.

• Debi Wilson

March 15, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Have you ever tried keeping a food journal, Jackie? That has helped me.

• Jacqueline

March 15, 2019 at 1:52 pm

Debi no but, I do know that my stomach becomes horrible as soon as I have drunk my first cup of tea of the morning. I can only assume that both our bladders and our bowels dont work the same way they did before our MS.

• Debi Wilson

March 15, 2019 at 2:52 pm

Unfortunately, true.

• Jacqueline

March 17, 2019 at 2:32 am

Debi, there have been many days I have said to my other half that I will give it a try going one day with very little food, and fluids, teas, ( apart from water ) just to test if my stomach feels any different, or it makes any difference to my MS body movements but as soon as I say this it goes completely out of my mind, so have yet to follow this through, maybe I just like my food too much. lol

On a serious note I am as sure as I can be that our gut, and what we put into it does now play a part on how our MS performs, is that the right term to use, perform? One day I may just get around to putting my theory to its test.

Jackie

• Debi Wilson

March 17, 2019 at 11:20 am

Yes, I agree Jackie. It is good to try different foods to see what works and what doesn’t. Have you ever tried a probiotic?

• Jacqueline

March 17, 2019 at 1:43 pm

Debi yes, Bio-tiful Kefir Riazhenka, I often have it over my muesli and granola with fresh raspberries and blueberries, my usual morning breakfasts. Have you tried Rude Health’s coconut – almond – hazelnut milks? they have less fats ( 1.2g ) than some other brands of coconut milks. they are also grain, gluten  and dairy free, and with no added sugar. I have often substituted these for milk when I am in the mood.

• Debi Wilson

March 17, 2019 at 5:41 pm

I haven’t tried those kinds of milks, it sounds like they would be good for me. I will look and see if I can find them around here or online. Thanks!