Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Does having an MRI bother you? What tricks get you through the procedure?

• Does having an MRI bother you? What tricks get you through the procedure?

Posted by Debi Wilson on February 23, 2019 at 10:10 am

Some people get claustrophobic when they have an MRI procedure . Does having an MRI bother you ?  Do you have special tricks that help you through the procedure?

Deleted User replied 5 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Jacqueline

February 23, 2019 at 11:50 am

Debi, I have only had two which were a month or so apart almost four years ago. So with my first, I had no Idea what to expect apart from another forum mentioning they were noisy and one must keep as still inside as possible but, when they were starting placing me inside I have to admit I freaked out as it felt the top closing down on me and I honestly thought I was being buried alive, he quickly got me back out, placed ear muffs and eye pads on me, if I remember some classical music was playing but that never stopped me hearing those sounds from the film, Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

My second more prepared MRI scan with Gadolinium, I knew what was coming, I knew what to expect, no moving, keep my body dead still, keep my eyes firmly closed, yes even with eye pads on, and imagine those space men coming down to pay a one hour visit to me.

Jackie

• Debi Wilson

February 23, 2019 at 4:43 pm

? that is a good analogy , Jackie! An MRI really does sound like  the mother ship landing!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 23, 2019 at 4:54 pm

Oh yes my first brain scan, it was very weird.  They put something over head and face, then I went in head first.  I had to keep my eyes closed the whole 50 minutes and I just thought about being on a beach sunbathing with houses being knocked down in the background, it was very noisy. (soon after the earthquakes here).  I should have asked for a chill pill.  At times I could feel anxiety coming on, so I just breathed deeper and slower.  I did not hear any music, and I wish the technician had spoken to me to help calm me, like telling me I am doing great and only 10 minutes to go.  That would have helped alot.

It’s best to keep your eyes closed the whole time.

• Debi Wilson

February 23, 2019 at 5:00 pm

Good advice, Jilly!

• Jacqueline

February 24, 2019 at 9:08 am

Jilli

– there you are, been a tad worried over you, you have been missing too long for comfort.

Ha ha, dont bet on it, I lost count how many times my MRI scan operator kept telling me, ” just another 4 minutes, just another 3 minutes, just another 2 minutes, what should have taken a 20 minute second scan, shorter than my first scan, lasted a good one hour so my other told me whilst waiting for me in that outside waiting area. Thought he was never coming to take me out of that machine.

Jackie

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 24, 2019 at 5:28 pm

Hey Jackie, I’m back….