Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS How well do you think people with MS are being portrayed on T.V. and in the movies ?

• How well do you think people with MS are being portrayed on T.V. and in the movies ?

Posted by Debi Wilson on August 24, 2018 at 5:14 pm

How well do you think people with MS are portrayed in the entertainment industry?

Do you think it shows an accurate picture of what MS is like?

Can you give some examples of movies or TV shows that have a character that has been diagnosed with MS?

Debi Wilson replied 5 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Jacqueline

August 25, 2018 at 12:25 am

Debi…

…good question….I have been a devoted fan of our long running soap ( Dec 1960 ) Coronation Street, nowadays I dont miss an episode, it isĀ  on three times a week now….We have one portraying actor who 14 months ago was diagnosed with MS, he is one of the older actors but there was no mention of which MS he had, was it PPMS? we shall never know but…there have been very rare mentions of his illness nor very little noticeable signs of his illness so far, this has not been built into the programme story….so NO…in my opinion it has not been portrayed to us viewers as I was expecting it to have been done…in fact I was looking forwards to this story and thought this might get our illness across to the many out there that know very little about it….

• Debi Wilson

August 25, 2018 at 9:41 am

I agree, Jackie! On Y&R, here in the states, one of the lead characters has MS. They do the same thing with her, as on your show. It’s hit or miss.
    On Ninja warrior,(a “real life person” competition show), A”Warriors” wife has MS and they show her struggle, when they do segments on him. So it’s good people watching can gain more insight!