• Cooling Vests

Posted by Micki on August 11, 2020 at 7:38 am

My doctor suggested I get a cooling vest to get through this summer heat.     The ones that look comfortable and easy to wear are pricey.    Does anyone know if Medicare covers?

Thank you

ed-tobias replied 3 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ed-tobias

August 12, 2020 at 3:00 pm

Hi Micki –

Medicare may cover it as a piece of “durable medical equipment” but you’d need to get a doctor’s prescription. But, if you meet the income requirements the Multiple Sclerosis Association of America provides them at no cost. https://mymsaa.org/msaa-help/cooling-products/

Ed

• Micki

August 17, 2020 at 7:40 am

Thanks, Ed – I saw that MS Society did that.   And , I am going to check with Medicare.   Actually, not out of my price range but, if I’m going to invest I want it to be comfortable to wear.   Don’t want to invest that kind of $$ and then have sit in a closet somewhere.

I hope you are doing all you can to be safe.   Micki

• ed-tobias

August 17, 2020 at 2:17 pm

Good luck, Micki. Always good to hear from you.

Stay cool!

Ed

• shorty

November 24, 2020 at 10:38 am

G’day, I am in Australia so summer is coming and looking forward to 40+ degree Celcius temps, NOT. The best cooling vest I have found is

https://www.polarproducts.com/polarshop/pc/Adjustable-Cooling-Pack-Vests-c535.htm

Phase change ones, frozen cooling packs that melt while using, are the most effective and water ice is more effective than gells. Evaporative vests are least effective. You also need to be able to have spare freezer packs so one set can be refrozen while the other is in use.

As for expense, you can buy versions of these on Ebay for about $20. They are not very durable but if you are not working or very active they are effective. I started with one of these because they are cheap to try to see if they work for you. It lasted most of the summer and some of the gell packs, you fill them with water when you get them,  started leaking. Velcro tabs also came off. I was using it under the shoulder straps of my HFAD though in my workshop and around my block so it was subject to a bit of stress.