Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS MSunderstood Café in Dublin Gives Customers Glimpse into Life of MS Patients

• MSunderstood Café in Dublin Gives Customers Glimpse into Life of MS Patients

Posted by MS News Today Moderator on April 10, 2018 at 5:00 pm

A recent pop-up cafe in Dublin allowed customers to experience what it’s like to live with multiple sclerosis (MS) to highlight the urgent need for improved access to care and treatment for MS patients in Ireland.

MSunderstood Café gave customers a small taste of the challenges and symptoms MS patients face every day. Patients with the disease helped create the simulated environment to ensure all aspects of the café were as authentic to their lives as possible.

Everything in the MSunderstood Café was designed to create a challenging experience, giving customers a unique insight into what it’s like to live with the condition. The menu boards would become blurry, and furniture would either move unexpectedly or be very heavy and difficult to handle.

“By opening the doors to the MSunderstood Café, we hope we have helped customers understand the reality of living with MS, and realize how crucial speedy access to treatment is for people with MS,” Ava Battles, CEO of the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Ireland, said in an MS Ireland news story.

Read the full story about this café here: “MSunderstood Café in Dublin Gives Customers Glimpse into Life of MS Patients”

What do you think of this idea? Share your thoughts below!

Jacqueline replied 6 years ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Jacqueline

May 9, 2018 at 2:11 pm

The only thing the customers cant mimic is what is going on inside our bodies…that is the one thing that no one but the people who are living every day with it, will never ever understand..It is ok mimicking the MS things they can see but they cant mimic our invisible’s..

• Debi Wilson

May 9, 2018 at 2:47 pm

I agree, Jackie.

But, I think that is a great idea to show people what MS feels like, even a small glimpse!

They are lucky they can walk away from the cafe, back to their normal life don’t you think?

• Jacqueline

May 9, 2018 at 3:39 pm

Debi…even in my own ignorance, all I really knew about MS was that it was a word to be feared, and that it was a walking problem…Of course it is only now that I have it, I have become far more aware that this Illness-disease goes far beyond,  what a lot of people actually know about this…

I was that ignorant that I even thought it was an ageing Illness..even though I remember I have a cousin who suffered it when we were both in our 20s….