Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS What advice would you give to someone newly diagnosed with MS?

• What advice would you give to someone newly diagnosed with MS?

Posted by Debi Wilson on August 12, 2018 at 11:28 am

Looking back when you were first diagnosed with MS what questions did you have? What advice do you wish you would have received?

Your experiences and challenges with MS can help others!

What advice would you give to  someone newly diagnosed with MS?  What do you wish you would have  known about  MS when you were diagnosed ?

Debi Wilson replied 5 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Jacqueline

August 12, 2018 at 3:18 pm

This is not my advice…this is the advice from James Coke, aka…The Disabled Chef….but I couldn’t have put it better myself…I hope you will all agree with him, as I do…I hope he doesn’t mind if this is shared on our MS forum…This was printed in my monthly or quarterly MS magazine from the mstrust.org.uk…

What advice would you give someone who’s just been diagnosed with MS..

Quote: Ok it’s a scary time. It’s life changing and it’s impossible not to feel bleak about the future, but it’s certainly not the end of the world.Everyone ends up having a monkey on their back at some stage in their lives and MS is a big one, but you can carry it. Always try to be positive and find value with your achievements. However small they are, each one is a stepping stone leading to something better and you’ve got to keep on that path. Finally, don’t ever surrender. I’ve learnt many things since diagnosis but mainly that and it is something I’ll take to the grave with me…

Author of blog from James Coke aka The Disabled Chef…

• Debi Wilson

August 12, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Wise words,  thank-you for sharing that Jackie !

• Jacqueline

August 13, 2018 at 12:45 am

Yes fighting stuff, isn’t it?….

I believe this is all part of our test here on earth…this is a test of seeing what we are made of and preparing us for that next world…only then will we be free of all manners of illnesses, diseases and pain….But it is not yet the end of our world, as quoted from James Coke…so we have to adapt and find other alternatives while we can, and the best way we can…We still have a life to live…and hopefully still enjoy, and to make a difference in this world…

Jackie…

• ed-tobias

August 13, 2018 at 9:45 am

Even a pair of deuces can be a winning hand if you play it right.

• Debi Wilson

August 13, 2018 at 12:41 pm

So true, Jackie!  Never giving up and finding ways to adapt, that is my MS motto too! Plus, fitting some joy, faith and hope in there also!:)

lol Great analogy, Ed!