Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS What do you do for leg pain and spasticity? What helps you?

• What do you do for leg pain and spasticity? What helps you?

Posted by Debi Wilson on August 7, 2018 at 3:49 pm

For me, MS leg pain and spasticity feels like my leg is in a vice. The pressure increases with each crank of the vice, until it is almost unbearable. Then comes the uncomfortable feeling of numbness in my feet.

What helps your leg cramps and spasticity? Do you have a special routine that you follow once spasticity hits? What do MS leg cramps and spasticity feel like to you?

Debi Wilson replied 5 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Jacqueline

August 8, 2018 at 1:20 am

Debi, with MS there are so many things going on with our body that to me no matter how many times I try to describe them, one by one, the jelly wobbliness yet heavy to lift legs feelings, the feeling of my cottonwool feet that I can no longer feel and are twisting under my weight…I dont think it will ever get the true message through to anyone we are talking to because WE know we are going through ( experiencing ) worse than they will ever imagine….

In answer to your question, no, I dont have any routine…( are there any? ) I just bide my time, rest my body, my legs, my feet for the time being, then try again, this is when I am at home indoors…

• Debi Wilson

August 8, 2018 at 9:17 am

Excellent descriptions, Jackie!
    My routine is to elevate my legs, take homeopathic leg cramp pills (they have magnesium) and apply ice packs. I rub cannabis lotion when I have that,as well.

• Jacqueline

August 11, 2018 at 2:32 am

Most of my troubles come from my right leg thigh – groin area, and as I type this morning it is ” coming alive ” again, this is the term that I use to explain it…It pulses, it throbs, it pummels…while this is going on there seems nothing I can do about it, it will build up, get stronger…I just have to bide my time but even when this ends, the feelings are always there but laying kindof dormant until bedtime when the leg is at its best, I have no trouble when sleeping…On my usual every day, it helps when I pull my stomach in hard and upwards….or when I stand straight and stretch my arms up to the ceiling, now that does feel good…even if it does sound strange…Baring in mind our MS’s effect everyone in a different way to others who suffer MS…what I can do maybe others cant do, and so forth…Maybe I have ventured off topic a tad…

Jackie..

• Debi Wilson

August 11, 2018 at 10:35 am

Great ideas, Christy and Jackie! I am going to try concentrating on my breathing more, and the term “coming live” really describes the start of the pain!

• ed-tobias

August 11, 2018 at 10:09 am

CBD oil seems to help me with my nighttime leg and foot cramps. I’m going to try it, soon, to see how it effects my daytime spasticity.

• Debi Wilson

August 11, 2018 at 3:14 pm

Good to know, thanks Ed

• Christy

August 10, 2018 at 11:09 pm

Sometimes when I’m having really bad spasticity (starts in my lower back and extends down entire left leg) I will concentrate on my breathing. Making sure that I breathe slowly and deep. It seems to break that “stiff as a board” feeling and I’m able to loosen up enough to stand up and stretch it out, usually by bending at the waist and arching my back like a cat. Then I just have to make sure that I move slowly so I don’t start right back into another one.

• Debi Wilson

August 11, 2018 at 10:37 am

Do you apply that oil or take it internally, Ed?

• ed-tobias

August 11, 2018 at 2:35 pm

A drop under the tongue at bedtime.