Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Is it difficult for you to do daily tasks by yourself?

Tagged: 

• Is it difficult for you to do daily tasks by yourself?

Posted by Debi Wilson on March 3, 2019 at 4:27 pm

Is it difficult to do daily tasks on your own? Is it hard for you to prepare meals, shower, dress yourself, etc? Do you have a caregiver that helps you?

Deleted User replied 5 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Jacqueline

March 4, 2019 at 5:49 am

My body really does get messed up whenever I hand wash in the sink a handful of my cashmere jumpers..the hand washing, my shoulders going forwards and backwards, the putting them in the spin dryer,hanging them on coat hangers in  my bedroom, all this at one time I would have done with ease. Another chore that messes up my body is hoovering ( vacuuming ) there was a time I done various evening or early morning office cleaning, emptying 20 or 30 rubbish bins, hoovering large office carpets, polishing office desks, mopping floors, and all with speed within my paid timescale, several even being before or after my daily office admin type jobs. This MS has taken more of me away from me, that I ever thought possible. It is horrible being so helpless.

Same will be at our weekly bingo sessions, we sit at a table of eight where each of us each week take our turn going up to the counter for our tray or teas, only I could get myself up there but I certainly would not be capable of carrying the tray of teas to our table, that would not be possible.

My body can also get messed up when in my bedroom getting ready and dressed to go out  such as getting my earrings in, getting the butterfly backs on, even the type of wires that just slip in, or getting my sheepskin boots on, I have trouble getting my right foot int it, my bad side, my right side. I am sure if I get ” my thinking cap on ” I can come up with a whole heap of MS problems I now face.

• Jeanine Thiede

March 4, 2019 at 8:42 am

Hi Debi, It is indeed difficult for me to do daily tasks. Even brushing my teeth. I had to get an electric tooth brush. Before I was diagnosed I could not figure out why my arm got so fatigued. I had to stop mid way and rest. So much better now. I have been trying to find little ways to cope better. Shower/bath chair, toilet rails. I can still go to the sink and wash my dish, but my husband has taken over the cooking and cleaning. It was very hard to let go and let him take charge and sometimes, I just have to bite my tongue, as men do things different. My mom taught me, do it right the first time and you won’t have to go back and redo it. He is a trooper and starting to get the hang of things. I can’t be their telling him how. I am just grateful he has taken on my tasks.

My big advancement last week was walking out to the mail box with out my care or walker. I was so proud until I hit the door and had to find a chair asap! How about you?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 4, 2019 at 9:52 am

My daily workout is getting dressed in the morning and getting my shoes on is really hard since being in a hove around all day and just sitting all day my feat have swollen up like balloons it sucks. My computer keeps my mind busy and my hands at least but walking is a chore now day’s.

• Debi Wilson

March 4, 2019 at 11:31 am

I agree with you all, getting things done is a big deal now with MS. My most difficult challenges are showering, brushing my teeth and cleaning the cats litter box. Anything involving standing for to long is challenging since my legs are weak.

I’m impressed Jackie that you can vacuum , I can’t do that at all, and you Jeanine walking to the mailbox without assistance is amazing! I can relate to you Steve, walking has become  such process. Thinking about every step, it takes a lot of energy just getting around. You are lucky to have a hove , I bet that helps a lot!

• Jacqueline

March 4, 2019 at 1:06 pm

No Debi I cant vacuum now, the man I live with does that and not on a regular basis, how I hate seeing our home so dirty. No I once done a lot of hoovering –  vacuuming every day but not any more. But it is me who washes my cashmere’s, after I have left them to build up in the wash basket for far too long, ha ha, when I start running out of jumpers to wear.

• Jacqueline

March 4, 2019 at 1:17 pm

Oh almost forgot, ironing has been a no no for me for the past 4 years, yet one time I used to enjoy ironing. I dont do any ironing at all now, nor does the man I am with, it is just a wash and wear life now.

• Debi Wilson

March 4, 2019 at 2:19 pm

Ok, I understand now Jackie. It is hard to give up so much and adjust to the new norm.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 5, 2019 at 5:12 am

I am very lucky to have a house keeper paid for by the Government once a week.  The most I can do is get dressed, putting socks on is really hard and difficult, putting one leg in my pants is a mission most times.  My butt gets sore from sitting down alot.  Oh to be able to get to the letterbox, wow that would be great.

I have just bought myself a Mini Portable Exercise Bike, which should arrive this week, my good leg is weak with lack of movement so I hope my mini bike will help work out my muscles.  It only cost $48.  I am waiting for a hand rail to help get off the loo.  Having PPMS is a very strange thing to adapt to.

But I had a good day today mentally, the last 2 days were not good.

Yesterday I got some great news, my niece who is 28 just got the Senior Job for Cultural and Heritage Design and her boss is our fabulous new Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern of New Zealand.  I am so proud of her.  Still smiling about that.

• Debi Wilson

March 5, 2019 at 12:22 pm

Wow, that is great news about your niece!  I can see why you are so proud !

That is also exciting about your bike! Let us know how it goes! I have found it doesn’t take much exercise before I feel better  emotionally and physically!

You are so lucky to have a housekeeper even, one day a week is awesome!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 5, 2019 at 4:18 pm

Thanks Deb, I will let yall know if the mini bike works. It will work as I bought it lol.

Yes I was surprised and greatful to be given a cleaner soon after I knew I had PPMS, wow yes I’ll take that.  You see in this country your taken care of if your disabled from the work force, unless your one of those people that are just so magnificent and carry on regardless.  I am not one of those.  I am on a benefit and get $397.00 a week from the Government, that’s about half of what I could earn if I had a job.  My rent is $225.00 a week.  I pay for everything else but the groceries, my roomate does that.  It works for us.  In the beginning we used to split everything down the middle but I wasn’t getting paid back, so I had to come up with another idea.  He cooks, hangs out the washing, gets the groceries.  Often he says he feels like a slave….too bad I say and get over it lol.  He has been taken care of by women his whole life I have taken care of men my whole life.  I refuse to cook for him.  It’s his turn.

• Debi Wilson

March 5, 2019 at 4:24 pm

Sounds like you have a system that works!

• Jacqueline

March 6, 2019 at 5:58 am

Jilli or it is Jilly?

Well done – congratulations to your niece, I am happy she is making you proud of her, keep that smile going.

Ha ha, a split down the middle, I like it ” He has been taken care of by women his whole life I have taken care of men my whole life.  I refuse to cook for him.  It’s his turn.” you tell him girl.

Jackie

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 6, 2019 at 4:19 pm

smiling, thanks Jackie, that’s how it went down, no secret either.  The plus side for him is he has learnt to cook, but he does complain often about being a slave.  Oh boohoo I say lol.

Jilly.