• Choking

Posted by Benjamin Hofmeister on January 15, 2024 at 9:00 am

I often have trouble swallowing (dysphagia), especially liquids, or dual-consistency foods like soups and cereal. Many with MS do and aspiration is one of our biggest problems.

Juicy fruits or vegetables are also dual consistency, but I don’t want to avoid them because I need the fiber.

I’ve found that dried fruit mix keeps me from choking while giving me the benefits of eating fruit.

What are some of your tips and workarounds to help with swallowing tricky foods?

Benjamin Hofmeister replied 3 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Tru

January 17, 2024 at 4:10 am

No tips from me Benjamin. Just waiting to hear what others recommend considering I am only at the start of my MS journey.

I am surprised to know that those few times saliva has seriously chocked me could have been related to the disease!

• Benjamin Hofmeister

January 19, 2024 at 12:35 pm

I just choked a little while eating lunch and taking a sip of water while chewing a bite of food. I know mixing a solid and liquid (dual consistencies) is a no-no, but I did it anyway and ended up choking and coughing. The speech therapist who I saw when I started having swallowing problems taught me prevention, but also gave me a device and exercises to strengthen my exhalation muscles. She said that preventing all choking was unlikely so building a strong cough to keep my lungs clear was very important.