• How can I help you?

Posted by Mike Purcell on December 16, 2023 at 2:27 pm

I have 25 years experience with MS (PP MS). As such I have a lot of experience with both scooters and power chairs. Like most of you (I assume) I waited too long before I used mobility aids (in general). Depending on your situation I can offer you reasonable input. I want to drive a Tesla but instead am driving a

Benjamin Hofmeister replied 3 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Benjamin Hofmeister

December 18, 2023 at 11:44 am

I definitely should have used mobility aids sooner, but I had (have) a problem with stubbornness.

If you use one, I would like your opinion on toilet/shower chairs. I’ve used 3 so far and haven’t been really satisfied with any of them.

• Mike Purcell

January 12, 2024 at 3:39 pm

Here’s what I do. I use a Get–U–up lift to get on and off regular toilet. I cannot do the commode thing. My shower chair has a hole in the seat but I don’t use it or that, only to shower. I’m interested in a more comfortable shower chair. This one is hard is hard to use.

• Benjamin Hofmeister

January 12, 2024 at 8:26 pm

Thanks Mike. My next house will have a ceiling lift I swear. For now I’m stuck with an uncomfortable toilet/shower chair. I don’t intend to sit in it very long, but it could be more comfortable. If I’m not perfectly straight, one leg falls asleep. It is very easy to maneuver through.

• Mike Purcell

January 13, 2024 at 7:47 pm

Boy am I with you on that comment. I’ve been working on a new place design myself over the past 3 or 4 years. There are couple books on accessible dwellings. One written my the local architect. (She’s in a Newton MA) and another written a paraplegic lady in Canada. Both very informative. If you would like I can post the titles but I’m sure Google will provide them for you.

• Benjamin Hofmeister

January 14, 2024 at 2:05 pm

Yes, please post the titles and links, if you have them. I’ve started writing down ideas, but I really rely on expert opinions.

• Mike Purcell

January 28, 2024 at 2:15 pm

Deborah Pierce is the architect located here Newton,MA. I am sure Google will find her. The other person is in Canada.

• Benjamin Hofmeister

January 28, 2024 at 2:33 pm

Awesome, thanks Mike!