Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums 31 Days of MS Day 13 of #31DaysOfMS: My Support Team Is Invaluable

• Day 13 of #31DaysOfMS: My Support Team Is Invaluable

Posted by Jessie Madrigal Fletcher on March 14, 2022 at 8:33 pm

Michael Drohan was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis at 18. Around 23, he started needing to sit down and recharge. Then he started using a cane, then two canes, a rollator, and now a powerchair. Michael is super grateful for the team he has built to help him manage MS: his family, community, and doctors.

His advice to anyone with MS is to stay engaged. Life can be isolating, especially since the pandemic hit us. Connecting with folks who are going through similar struggles has been rewarding for Michael.

Michael, you speak some mighty truths 🙂

Now back to our MS Community.
    How connected do you feel to others, living with MS? Have you managed to engage more with others since your diagnosis? How challenging is this for you?

Read the rest of Michael’s story here. He has some wonderful tips to help us deal with isolation and loneliness.

Our #31DaysOfMS initiative is running for the entire month of March. Each day, we are featuring a different story, and a different view of life with MS. To read all of the stories, visit our website.

ed-tobias replied 2 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • ed-tobias

March 19, 2022 at 1:34 pm

I was diagnosed with MS when I was 32. I’ve moved from playing tennis for the first several years after my DX to using a cane, two canes and finally an electric scooter. But I’ve used each of them to stay engaged. At age 73 I’m slow, but I still get where I’m going. And where I’m going, next month, is on a cruise with our son, daughter-in-law and grandkids. It doesn’t get much better than that.

What’s everyone else doing to stay engaged?