Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums 31 Days of MS Day 24 of #31DaysOfMS: I’m an Advocate With 40 Years of Experience to Share.

• Day 24 of #31DaysOfMS: I’m an Advocate With 40 Years of Experience to Share.

Posted by jessie-madrigal-fletcher on March 25, 2022 at 6:08 pm

For Debbie Petrina’s common sense generates creativity, imagination, and practicality. Back in 1980, she was 25 when her aggressive MS symptoms started. Without the information, treatments, and support available nowadays, she used common sense to get through each day.

Debbie also reached for her creativity, imagination, and practicality to overcome each obstacle MS brought. She volunteered with the National MS Society and soon after became a trained peer counselor for the society. For nearly 40 years, she has helped others living with MS.

Debbie believes that “no one has a choice about getting MS, but we all have a choice about whether we are going to let it control or manage our life.”

Debbie, you’re a true legend!

Now back to our MS Community: When there was little information to help manage your MS, what kept you going?

To read Debbie’s whole story and find out how she manages her MS life, click here:

Our #31DaysOfMS initiative is running for the entire month of March. Each day, we are featuring a different story, and a different view of life with MS. To read all of the stories, visit our website.

john-connor replied 2 years ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • john-connor

Administrator
    March 28, 2022 at 8:38 am

Love Debbie’s optimistic outlook of whether re MS ‘we are going to let it control or manage our life’. In my case, though I’ve done a lot to act like this, I’m well aware that I have only managed it due to a loving and dedicated family unit. Not everyone has this. And indeed MS has affected me so much mentally that I’m v. lucky they’ve stuck with me!
    Also as a writer I still have a working left arm. AI is still too terrible to write with verbally.
    How do u feel about Debbie’s fighting spirit?