Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Do you feel where you live is affecting your MS?

• Do you feel where you live is affecting your MS?

Posted by Debi Wilson on January 18, 2019 at 3:32 pm

Are extreme heat or cold triggers for you,  can  they cause worsening of your symptoms? Do you feel living in a colder or warmer environment is harming your MS? Have  you  ever thought of moving to a more mild climate?

Debi Wilson replied 5 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Sierra Parker

January 19, 2019 at 7:41 am

I live in Indiana, you never know what the weather is gonna be like here. I can tell that the when it’s really cold or changes from warm to cold quickly it makes my hands hurt and stiff. I’m also always cold no matter what the season is. So far winter is the worse for me. I cannot seem to keep warm unless I’m always bundled. My hands hurt and a lot of the times my skin hurts even to be touched. During the summer if it gets too hot my left arm feels like it’s suffocating. I don’t like spring nor fall because of it being cold.

Thought about moving to Arizona in 10 years. Any thoughts?

• ed-tobias

January 19, 2019 at 9:17 am

Heat slows me down, but I can always escape it with air conditioning. In the summer I can live in the pool. But cold is worse…physically and mentally. I’m fortunate that I can escape the cold and wind in Maryland by spending 3 months in Florida in the winter. It would be horrible, for this old guy, if I couldn’t.

• Debi Wilson

January 19, 2019 at 11:50 am

Sierra, I can relate to what you are saying. The cold weather  is really affecting my hands and arms this year.  The heat is usually the worst for me, I can get where walking is next to impossible. Air conditioning saves me, but I can not always be in it.

I don’t know about moving to Arizona, it gets very hot there. It will have to be a personal choice for you.

Sounds like you are set Ed!