Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Do you have to deal with your MS alone?

• Do you have to deal with your MS alone?

Posted by ed-tobias on December 14, 2018 at 9:17 am

I just read an article about elderly people who live alone and have trouble caring for themselves. But that’s not only a concern for older folks. Do any of you live alone? If so, how do you get help dealing with your MS?

ed-tobias replied 5 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 14, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Hi Ed, that’s sad. In New Zealand where I live, the disabled get well taken care of.  We are a welfare country.  I am 56, no where near old but I was given a housekeeper once a week, I’ve had her for 2 years now.  We also have the MS and Parkinsons Society where a nurse visits 3 time a year or more if you need her, I do pay $50 per year for her. The government pays my rent, that’s called a benefit, I have been written off for getting a job in their eyes (but that could change)

Everyone should have access to help with their disability. Perhaps they haven’t connected with the right people.

I have a phone friend since high school, she is very limited in what she can do, she is obese. I helped her get to the right people to get help putting in a walk in shower. (she is not on a benefit, her hubby pays for everything) but she got her walk in shower for free because I said to her, just phone Life Links and see what happens.

So in NZ we have Life Links, Nurse Maude, and the MS society.

Ed, maybe you could post agencies in your country.  If you have MS good people know about it and you just need to ask for help.

• ed-tobias

December 16, 2018 at 9:25 am

Thanks for all of the info, Jilleen.

We, of course, have assistance organizations such as the MS Society here in the States and there are church groups, etc. And there are also some government assistance programs. This article actually looks at using robots as “virtual” assistants.

I’ll probably be writing one of my columns about it in the next week or two.

Ed