Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Mobility Aids Flaws found in mobility devices for people with lower-limb paralysis

• Flaws found in mobility devices for people with lower-limb paralysis

Posted by ms-news-today-moderator on June 12, 2018 at 7:13 am

More investment and new technological developments are needed to assist people who have limited mobility because of lower-limb paralysis. That was the major conclusion of an international study undertaken by ComRes on behalf of the Toyota Mobility Foundation.

Around the world, millions of people have lower-limb paralysis. In the majority of cases it is due to spinal cord injury, stroke, and multiple sclerosis.

Read about this online survey that revealed there is still a lot to be done to improve the quality of life of people with lower-limb paralysis who use mobility devices here: Mobility Devices for People Who Have Lower-Limb Paralysis are Flawed, Online Survey Reveals

Do you use a mobility device as a result of lower limb paralysis? Does this article cover all of the limitations and flaws in current devices? What would you like to see most in new innovations?

debi-wilson replied 5 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • cubby1

October 29, 2018 at 7:08 pm

I have a folding power wheelchair.  I am 5’3″.  I have one with 121 inch rear wheels, to make more stable when going over rougher pavement etc.  It has a flip-down footrest.  The footrest comes up so high that I need help getting it down once I am seated.  Swing-away footrests (like on manual wheelchairs) should be optionally available, especially considering how expensive these chairs are.

• debi-wilson

October 29, 2018 at 8:38 pm

Yes, I agree. They should be made as accessible as possible!

• debi-wilson

November 6, 2018 at 12:34 pm

?