Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Have you ever experienced heart palpitations, were they MS related

• Have you ever experienced heart palpitations, were they MS related

Posted by debi-wilson on October 25, 2018 at 5:29 pm

Have you experienced heart palpitations, did you feel they were MS related?  Or did you discover  they stemmed from another issue?

debi-wilson replied 5 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • jordan-rousch

November 2, 2018 at 11:37 am

I have them often, nothing is found but MS doctor says they’re not MS. Been a few times with this complaint and I have been told by a few doctors at mount Sinai that it is “unheard of” to have an MS lesion cause heart palpitations. Idk to the extent of that though.

• debi-wilson

November 2, 2018 at 11:51 am

Hi Jordan,
    I have PPMS, I experience heart palpitations also. They started last December after my husband passed away. I have had them a few times since then. My doctor feels they are not MS related but, instead due to anxiety. I had some heart tests and they came out fine. What about you do you feel yours could be stress or anxiety related? How often do you have them?

• jordan-rousch

November 2, 2018 at 1:56 pm

Hi Debi,

I always attributed mine to stress and lack of sleep. I definitely have them more often and consistent when I didn’t sleep well. I’ve had a stressful two years so I also assumed that was the cause but they’re very episodic. It will happen consistently for a few days then go away, recently (about a month ago) it came back and was accompanied by an increase of dizziness. MRI was stable so not really sure. It lasted for about a month.

I have been doing more and more of my own research the past two years though once I got a positive blood test result of ebstein barr. I never knew I had it in the first place, but from what I found was ebstein barr with autoimmune conditions or immunocompromised people can cause a wide range of symptoms: increased heart rate and heart palpitations being two of them.

Have you ever been tested for ebstein barr or have a known past occurrence of it?

• debi-wilson

November 2, 2018 at 2:21 pm

I had mononucleosis (EBV) when I was 14. I have never been tested for EBV in all these years, though. What do you do for your palpitations when you have them?

• orthoham

November 4, 2018 at 3:43 pm

I also had mono as a teen.  Have palpitations occasionally – I assume stress-related.  I have taken Atenolol for it, with good results.  I’ve never been tested for EBV – imagine it would be positive.

• debi-wilson

November 4, 2018 at 4:25 pm

Hi Ruth,
    I take a little extra atenolol when I have palpitations, also. My Doctor okay’d it. Anxiety is hard to get away from when you have MS, since our nerves are so affected.

• micki

November 6, 2018 at 7:26 am

I have and never considered they would be MS related – and docs never said a word.   Interesting – seeing doc this month and I’ll add to my list of questions.

• debi-wilson

November 6, 2018 at 9:55 am

Please, share what he has to say with us, Micki!

• micki

November 6, 2018 at 11:31 am

Debi, I can say that I was put on a med and, of course, I can’t remember the name – DANG MS BRAIN for energy.   It over stimulated me and I actually had panic attacks.    Realized what was going on and threw them away.    It might have been nuvigil but not sure.   Panic attacks and chest pressure.

• debi-wilson

November 6, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Oh no, Micki! Isn’t that frustrating when medicines can make symptoms worse or create new issues! I’m glad you got rid of those!