Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Have you noticed any personality changes since being diagnosed with MS?

• Have you noticed any personality changes since being diagnosed with MS?

Posted by debi-wilson on March 13, 2019 at 11:21 am

My column next week will be on the possibility of personality changes with MS. Have you noticed any changes in your personality? If so, what are they?

debi-wilson replied 5 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • itasara

March 20, 2019 at 7:36 pm

I used to hear, long before I or my daughter ever had MS, that there was something called an MS personality.Not too long ago I read a blog that there really wasn’t much evidence that there is such a thing as an MS personality. As for me, I was an only child and a very shy one at that.I became more outgoing and not so shy as an adult but I can’t say. I’ve never been a person that will introduce myself to others in a group and usually I am still basically the same. I cannot say that having MS which I found out about at age 57 changed anything for me. I’m fortunate that I so far do not use a cane or w/c but sometimes certain noises irritate me or I seem to have less patience than I used to, but I can’t say this is a result of MS. I was born with an introverted personality that makes me who I am, that I cannot say was changed by MS. May be that some circumstances change my reactions but that could have happened with or without having MS.

• debi-wilson

March 21, 2019 at 10:14 am

Hi Ellen,

Thanks for sharing your story! I feel that MS didn’t change my shy personality. But, I do believe that MS does affect my anxiety,  patience  and irritability.  It makes sense, to me, that it would be MS,  since the disease is wearing on our nerves.