Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Have you tried a special diet for your MS?

• Have you tried a special diet for your MS?

Posted by Debi Wilson on October 20, 2018 at 7:16 pm

If you have tried s special diet for your MS such as, the Wahls protocol. How is it working for you?  Do you feel better on the diet than you did before ? Have you tried more then one MS diet plan ?

Debi Wilson replied 5 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Julie Bates

October 26, 2018 at 10:58 am

Yes I am currently on the Overcoming MS diet. I hate fish so I substitute with fish oil supplements and will eat small amounts of chicken or turkey from time to time.  I’ve had MS for 13 years and got diagnosed three years ago.    I’ve had no significant flares since becoming vegan and take LDN for symptom management.

• Debi Wilson

October 26, 2018 at 11:41 am

Thank-you for sharing Julie. That’s great the diet is working for you, I am definitely going to check into that one! Do you have any other tips for success on the diet ?

• Sarah

October 26, 2018 at 3:46 pm

I have been working with the Wahl’s Protocol for about six months.  It is challenging to find enough vegetables choices, but as my mind set has changed, this has gotten easier. I think the lower carb diet or gluten free has actually improved my sleeping and my age related (over 50) aches and pains. I do not think it helps (or hurts) with the MS pains.  Weirdly, my hair dresser, who knows I walk funny but nothing else, says my hair is growing in with less grey! I can’t see it, but I thought that this was a funny possible side effect.  I recommend reading a book called The Blood Sugar Solution in conjunction with the Wahl’s Protocol. The two plans are largely compatible, and many of the recipes/meal plans from The Blood Sugar Solution can be very easily adapted to the Wahl’s Protocol. However, The Blood Sugar Solution did a better job of helping my household with the transition to a different way of thinking about food and eating

• ed-tobias

October 26, 2018 at 4:54 pm

I’ve heard good things about Wahls diet, Sarah. If you do a search of the MS News stories and columns on this website I think you’ll find several items about it. For me, however, at age 70 I’d rather eat what I enjoy rather than eat what I, probably, should.

Ed

• Debi Wilson

October 26, 2018 at 5:15 pm

Great advice, Sarah! I definitely will check out the books, thank-you for sharing those.
    That is so amazing about grey hair. What a bonus! ?