Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS How do you deal with change and grieving a loss with MS?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 13, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Not sure if I understand the question right.

If your talking about grieving the loss of your other life before MS then I understand that?

• debi-wilson

December 13, 2018 at 4:27 pm

Yes, Jilly, any loss you have experienced and what you said counts! ?

• kaye-clarke

December 21, 2018 at 12:37 pm

Hi Debi,
    I was diagnosed with MS 20 years ago. It moved along real slow for the first 10 years and became more intrusive in the last 10. My husband, of 27 years, died 3 1/2 years ago. It was a miserable journey for him, and me (including having to have to hire Angel Medical Flight to get him home from half way across the country). He spent the last 4 months of his life in various ICUs in two different states. Because doctors did not come forth with the reality of his condition (they are human and did not come outright but spoke in board terms), it took a long time for me to come to the conclusion that he would never be able to get out of bed on his own again. He was a fighter and as long as he did not know the depth of his condition, he fought on. He did not figure it out until I told him. I don’t wish this for anyone. Telling him he would need someone to clean him up and rotate him daily was hard. He made the decision to end his life. The sadness of losing him was combined with the tragedy of the illness and the pain of consciously leaving. My MS spiraled. I had a mess, both in my home and within me. It has taken this long and I am now beginning to feel like myself. I went through a lot of stages, some a little manic in nature. I am basically homebound because of MS. I walk with a walker but it is painful for friends to watch, so I avoid spending much time with them. I do things around the house, have built a good team of folks to make living at home work, and am trying to grow through online classes.
    Your article touched me. Thank you.

• debi-wilson

December 21, 2018 at 1:29 pm

Thank-you so much Kaye, I am so glad you are here! It is so comforting to talk to someone that has been where I am and is coming through the other side. I hope you continue to come in the forums and we can chat!