Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Transition to Secondary Progressive MS

• Transition to Secondary Progressive MS

Posted by mehaffey on November 13, 2019 at 11:46 pm

I have been very fortunate that I have been pretty stable with my MS since being diagnosed 18 years ago. In the last year I have noticed that I am unable to concentrate and focus on things in work and at home and have really struggled with brain fog; Depression and fatigue in the last nine months. I have now been off work for three months. This has not been like a relapse as I don’t feel this improving with time. I am seeing my neurologist and waiting on an MRI.

It was with interest that I read the article on MS news today about people not being aware that they have transitioned to SPMS from RRMS. I have to confess I didn’t realise that such a high percentage of people progress to SPMS between 10 and 20 years post diagnosis with RRMS. I am wondering if this could be what I’m experiencing. I have some pains in my legs but my mobility thankfully remains mainly unaffected but I am having real cognitive issues in concentrating and memory, mood and fatigue. Can anyone provide anymore information or experience on transition from RRMS to SPMS.

mehaffey replied 4 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ed-tobias

November 18, 2019 at 9:26 am

Helen,

I don’t know when I moved from RRMS to SPMS and my neuro never told me. It really doesn’t matter, except to insurance companies and government regulators.

MS is MS, no mater what it’s called. Eventually it will move from symptom “attacks” to a slow progression of symptoms. Sometimes the attacks are skipped and it’s just a downhill slide. I think people with MS would be better off if doctors just told us that, rather than giving names to the stages.

Brain fog, depression, memory and other above-the-neck symptoms are usually due to new, active or growing lesions in the brain. Below-the-neck symptoms – mobility, bladder/bowel, sexual – are usually due to lesions along the spine.

I hope your MRI will pinpoint what’s happening with you and your neuro can prescribe a DMT that will hold those symptoms and, possibily, reverse them.

Ed

• mehaffey

December 2, 2019 at 12:59 am

Hi Ed

thank you for your reply to my post. Apologies for delay in getting back to you I haven’t been well and off line for a while.

I have a great neurologist but As you say I wish they would tell us about what can happen as i really didn’t put my increasing memory problems and depression down to My MS at first and honestly thought I was ‘cracking up’. Still waiting on MRI which may shed some light on the recent changes.