Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Welcome Lounge UnitedHealthCare removed all MS drugs from preventive list

• UnitedHealthCare removed all MS drugs from preventive list

Posted by duchess on February 7, 2019 at 9:31 am

Hi all, I’m new here.  Just wondering if anyone else if having problems with UnitedHealthCare (UHC).  I’ve been on Copaxone for 19 years and insured with UHC.  The only reason I keep renewing with them is they do cover Copaxone as a preventive drug.  This means it’s a small copay.  But, I just learned when trying to refill my prescription that they removed all MS drugs from preventive.  That means I have to meet the deductible before anything is covered and like many people it’s a high deductible policy.  Even once the deductible is met, I still need to pay 20% until Max out of pocket is met.  I’m working with the Dept of Labor (they have jurisdiction over employer benefits) and they are very interested in knowing if there are others effected by them removing an entire class of people from the coverage.  If you are in the same situation, contact Mary Forsythe at [email protected].  Or, send me a message and we can talk offline.

Deleted User replied 5 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 7, 2019 at 6:40 pm

Hi Terry and welcome.  I have PPMS, no drugs for me.  I hope you can get what you need.  Good luck.

• duchess

February 7, 2019 at 6:43 pm

Good news, I was just notified by united healthcare that they made a mistake. They reversed the charges for my last prescription.  They also are putting a system change in that puts the copay at $40/ mo.  They will be reversing charges for all glatiramer acetate users over the next few days and adding the new rate.  But only for those who were on copaxone before 2014.  They are grandfathered in until 2023.

If you have questions let me know.  Victory!

• duchess

February 7, 2019 at 6:46 pm

Thank you Jileen.  Victory for glatiramer users with UHC insurance!  It was for us all.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      February 8, 2019 at 5:41 pm

Terry, they made a mistake! that’s why we must always ask more questions.  Trust but Verify.  Great news for you. Awesome.

• jacqueline

February 8, 2019 at 10:12 am

Terry…

…similar here in UK, NICE have said no to the only drug that would have been available for the likes of me with Primary Progressive MS…all because of money, too costly…yet PPMS have nothing available…

Jackie

• duchess

February 8, 2019 at 10:17 am

Jackie,

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re having such troubles in the UK too.  Can you fight it?  I fought for weeks sending letters to every government agency and official I could find. I sent each a 10 page business case including attachments that laid out the rationale. I’m happy to share it if you wish.

All the best to you

Terry

• jacqueline

February 9, 2019 at 8:36 am

Terry…

I was diagnosed with PPMS age 64, be 68 next month March…think I am too old for fighting…we all know these things can take years out of our life before we manage to get anywhere with the powers that be…Thank you for the feedback…

Jackie