Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Trials and Research 1 in 5 People Misdiagnosed with MS at These Two U.S. Medical Centres

• 1 in 5 People Misdiagnosed with MS at These Two U.S. Medical Centres

Posted by ms-news-today-moderator on February 21, 2019 at 12:22 pm

Almost one in five patients diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS) and referred to one of two MS-specialized centers in the U.S. were found to not have the disease, a study at those two centers reported. Migraine was the most common correct diagnosis eventually given these people. Click here to learn more.

How long did it take you to get the correct diagnosis? How does this news affect how you feel about your diagnosis? Do you ever doubt that you were correctly diagnosed with MS?

Deleted User replied 5 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 23, 2019 at 5:18 pm

It took well over a year and many different doctor visits. then finally an MRI and then a lumbar puncture.  Which showed white spots in my brain and spinal cord.  Lovely, something is eating my brain!

My neurologist never even wrote MS in the letter to my doctor back in 2012.  I have only seen a neurologist twice.  Since then I practically have to prove I have MS with my symptoms.  Of course I didn’t know what was going to happen to me.  Lovely.

Second visit, neurologist told me I had PPMS, and went on to say think of it like your cup is half full.  I said to him, but my cup is empty right now.  (earthquake trauma from aftermath).  And again MS was not put in a letter to my doctor.  Lovely.

2019 cup is leaking still, I have plugged some holes but it’s a big job.  I haven’t been sleeping well the last 3 nights, no idea why but it’s starting to piss me off.

• jacqueline

February 24, 2019 at 9:03 am

I wasn’t taken seriously whenever I often mentioned ” strange things were happening to my body ” Of course as far as local GP’s are concerned, MS only happens to young people, well now they are a tad wiser, it can happen to a 64 year old woman, as it did happen to me 4 years ago come this April. Oh yes, they observed I was overweight so it must be a hip replacement job, they were wrong, or a groin hernia, they were wrong, or it must be my thyroid glands, they were wrong, even had a 3 month wait to go see a physiotherapist, she signed me off after our first session, she knew something, she sussed it out, as ” could it be MS ” well the list goes on.

Even when I mentioned ” could it be MS ” to one male GP, I was sent packing wish his swish of his hand and his laughable grin and his word of NO, as if I was crazy even asking that question, of course I was too old to have gotten Primary progressive MS.

We know our bodies far more than any GP’s will ever do, we live our bodies every day, we know when something is not right with it, even if we cant explain to our local GP what is happening with it.

Jackie