Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Trials and Research #ACTRIMS2020 – Vitamin D at High Dose Can Worsen MS, Early Study Says

• ed-tobias

March 3, 2020 at 12:48 pm

John,

I wouldn’t lower your dose unless it’s super high.

The dose given to the mice with simulated MS, was 75,000 units. That’s far higher than the dose that any person with MS that I know is taking. When the mice were given 1,500 units, which is similar to the 2,000 units that I’ve been taking each day for years, it proved to be beneficial. I’m about to run out of my Vitamin D and I’m getting ready to buy more.

Everyone needs to read past the headlines.

Ed

• john-connor

Administrator
    March 3, 2020 at 4:37 pm

Well done for doing so Ed,

I’ve been taking 15,000iu for years.

Some of the doctors I remember researching years ago were  doing circa 45,oooiu!

I’ll go back to my old dose .

Ta

• itasara

March 7, 2020 at 12:30 am

I have taken Vit. D3 for quite some time.. years.. I have had RRMS for about 13 yrs. I take a slew of other supplements including calcium. I have read all kinds of articles encouraging the use of D3 for MS patients and never saw this study result before. I take somewhere between 4000-6000 IU/day. I was on MS medication for 12 years,  but after I turned 71,  I decided with my neurologist to come off the medication. I do not seem to have any signs of progressive MS. I do not spend a lot of time outside especially in the winter months. I assume from responses here that what I am taking is really not a concern?

• ed-tobias

March 7, 2020 at 9:26 am

Hi Ellen,

I’m not a medical professional so I’m not in a position to tell you whether or not your Vitamin D intake should be a concern. I can tell you, however, that I’m also 71 and, with the blessing of my neuro and my PCP, I’ve been taking Vitamin D3 at around 2,000 IU a day for a long time. I’ve been taking calcium for the same length of time. Seems to work for me.

Ed