Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia.

• Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Posted by Jacqueline on February 4, 2019 at 2:11 pm

As from today I can now add Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia to my daily MS portfolio. Been given a fortnights supply of Carbamazepine. I ask myself what else is MS going to throw at me?

Debi Wilson replied 5 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 4, 2019 at 4:08 pm

Jackie, I had to google that.  You have face pain?  I can’t imagine how that would be.

Atypical trigeminal neuralgia (ATN), or type 2 trigeminal neuralgia, is a form of trigeminal neuralgia, a disorder of the fifth cranial nerve. This form of nerve pain is difficult to diagnose, as it is rare and the symptoms overlap with several other disorders.

Atypical facial pain is variable and can be characterized as dull, aching, burning, sharp, squeezing, or crushing quality and has a psychogenic origin. The may occur on both sides of the face differing from trigeminal nerve pain.

• Debi Wilson

February 4, 2019 at 4:41 pm

Sorry Jackie!  From what I’ve read it sounds very painful!

• Jacqueline

February 4, 2019 at 6:39 pm

Two and a half months of inside left cheek skin discomfort, with a feeling of warmth and numbness, as if the dentist anaesthetic is wearing off, with lump at the back of the throat and sore throat that comes and goes. Last week I got my dentist to give my mouth a going over, this is not a teeth nor gums problem, he too thought Atypical facial Neuralgia..